Lazers

GBtimex

Riggers,

My theatre has money and I am trying to spend it before they change there mind. On my massive list of things to buy is some new tools that we don't have. One of them is a lazer for rigging. Now being in management buying the wrong tool comes pretty naturally to me. I am hoping to correct that with advice from you guys. I have seen numerous versions of lazers over the years but have no idea what to get.

I work in a proscenium theatre with a thrust for our orchestra pit. Our space is 66' 5" to the grid, and is 128' by 58'. The proscenium is is 104' by 32' high.

Does anyone have a favorite brand/item for this? There are few things worse in life than having a tool that "kinda works" when the one that does the job perfectly only cost marginally more.

Please share you knowledge with a humble SM,

Thanks,

GBTimex

We use PLS lasers to line up points drawn on the floor to where they go in the steel, the PLS 3 and PLS 5 both work great. It's way better to have a set down laser that levels itself than try and point a handheld laser straight up. The 3 is great if you just wanna say "Put a point here" and shoot that point straight into the grid. The 5 is handy if you want to use the laser to align points as well.

We also use Leica laser distance finders. I've seen both the DXT and the D3a on shows. They're both probably way more accurate than are actually necessary, but I've seen them bounce around road crates for years on end and still work reliably day in and day out. Also the laser is bright and very visible which makes it endlessly useful a pointer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back