LED color wash comparison

FlashBang

So I'm looking at buying some LED pars to handle colour wash of my stage. I have about $7000 budget for this, and am trying to figure out if it is possible.

It seems to me the important spec to look at is lux or fc from my distance (14' or ~4.2 meters), but I have no idea what value is adequate to cut through a decent white wash.

From my searching so far, these options seem to stick out at me:
COLORado 1 Tour (only 15* beam angle though)
COLORado 2 Tour (optional 30* lens with higher output, but twice the price)
COLORado Zoom Tour (zooms to 30* beam, but then ouputs 550lux @5m which seems low - also can't find MSRP to work from)
Blizzard ProPar Quadra (only gives lux @1m - 13,450)
Lightronics FXLD336C3I (only gives lux @6.5', @20', @30'. 450lux @20' seems too low)

So, do you think I can adequately wash a 35' x 22' stage from 14' with $7000 worth of these, or any other, fixtures? What lux value should I aim for?

Thanks for any and all comments or suggestions!

I'm going to assume you are top lighting and that's how you arrived at the 14' throw distance.

By way of comparison, an S4 36 lamped at 750W is going to be around 4400 lux. Stick any saturated colour filter in that S4 R36 (Rosco 26, 80, or 95 -- all around 10-12% transmission) and you're seeing about 450 - 500 lux, give or take. So if the goal is saturated colour then you may be OK with any of these fixtures at least as far as intensity goes.

Coverage is another matter. With the throw distance involved, assuming 30 degree lensing, you're looking at about a 7' diameter field so it requires a lot of instruments, say 8x4 depending on the overlap, fall off between beam and field, and how tall your actors are (being a cone and all), and how close to the back wall and edges you need to light. Using 40 degree lensing, or an oval beam (20x40,30x60) could reduce the number of fixtures required (5x2, 7x2, 9x2), at the expense of intensity.

From my searching so far, these options seem to stick out at me:
COLORado 1 Tour (only 15* beam angle though)
COLORado 2 Tour (optional 30* lens with higher output, but twice the price)
COLORado Zoom Tour (zooms to 30* beam, but then ouputs 550lux @5m which seems low - also can't find MSRP to work from)
Blizzard ProPar Quadra (only gives lux @1m - 13,450)
Lightronics FXLD336C3I (only gives lux @6.5', @20', @30'. 450lux @20' seems too low)

Thanks for any and all comments or suggestions!

Hey Flashbang-
More options provide more solutions. Here is another potential candidate with an MSRP of just $595 per fixture-
http://downloads.goapollo.com/HP3-90 and HP5-70.pdf

I'll grab some fc specs for you-

By way of comparison, an S4 36 lamped at 750W is going to be around 4400 lux. Stick any saturated colour filter in that S4 R36 (Rosco 26, 80, or 95 -- all around 10-12% transmission) and you're seeing about 450 - 500 lux, give or take..
Is this given my 14' height?

assuming 30 degree lensing, you're looking at about a 7' diameter field so it requires a lot of instruments, say 8x4 [...]. Using 40 degree lensing, or an oval beam (20x40,30x60) could reduce the number of fixtures required (5x2, 7x2, 9x2), at the expense of intensity.
Not sure what you mean by 8x4, 5x2, 7x2, 9x2 - could you please explain?

Thanks for the input!

4400 lux is at 15', straight off the ETC spec sheet. (Well rounded up a bit since 14' is a little closer)

8x4 would be a grid of (8 fixtures per row) by (4 rows). Of course, back lighting, side lighting, or anything that cheats the angle upstage or downstage from vertical would elongate the ellipse so the number of rows could be as few as 2 and still achieve an acceptable top wash. The limiting factor is width of the ellipse.

This would be 6x2:

x x x x x x

x x x x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back