LED Cyc units - small space

dwdavedw

We're looking to replace a couple of T3 3 circuit / 6 lamp units. The cyc is 16' wide x 12'6 tall, and
the strip pipe is 4' from the cyc. It's a fixed grid, only lighting the cyc from above, so I need to be certain the math works, I can't fly the pipe out higher to cover the cyc. I've been surfing the Altman site, and having trouble seeing what would be comparable in terms of spread and intensity. It seems like the
Spectra Cyc 200 is overkill, but not sure. We have been using 300 - 500 lamps in the T3's. Is there a spec sheet that lists distance to cyc, spacing of units, and resulting spread and intensity? I remember the old sky cyc specs would list all that, with fc listed at various
points down the cyc. Or a formula? Seems like it would be a useful thing.....

Don't overlook the Strand PL-1 Cyc. I think you need to get demo units. It's a little on the edges of norms but with 4', you should get good wash. And don't forget to look not just unit to unit for price, but what more units at a lower cost does - kind of a dollar per foot comparison.

The Altman does great on 16' cycs. Its very wide coverage and very smooth blending allows for fewer units than most other products. The 200 is just 2 100s in a single box, very close spacing for more light per square foot. (another useful way to calculate cyc lighting)

In my last demo of the Strand it seemed to give a more vertical pattern, needing closer spacing but allowing taller drops. Is that what you see @BillConnerASTC ?

To toot our own horn here...

Also look at the Chauvet Ovation C-640FC. A 4' offset and 4' centers are our recommended layout. We offer the ability to do a split color cyc with one unit and have RGBAW color mixing. Cost is about the same as a PLCYC depending on what dealer you get it from.

I would do a shoot-out of all the fixtures in your price range. Any good dealer can and should facilitate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back