LED Dance Floor or RGB Rail Dance Floor

Can we derail a thread faster? What's the point of this off topic discussion? Mods, can we edit/delete/move this rabbit chase to the safety forum or something?

Back to the original topic... I do a large dance floor once a year and smaller ones several other times a year. The main issue I've had is that they don't lock together. How about yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
** Yes the DMX flame thrower shoots real flames...And its awesome

**I have never had any issues with my panels locking back together.. Most of the floors I've installed were permanent installs, but when we needed to re-position I have never had issues.
As i said alot of clients do not have room or can not afford to buy 4 to make a quadrant.
Therefore i have been making custom sizes with stacking 4-5 rails in a panel..
This works great with narrow floors or catwalks..

Not trying to sound mean but are you honestly asking for opinions or trying to sell your product?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the honestly.. I guess
But i was asking opinions if anyone else has used the rails stacked next to each other for smaller dance floors then 4 panels next to each other.. I am running into this issue alot lately and wanted some feedback.. I know folks on here use dmx dance floors and/or video dance floors..

Thanks for the honestly.. I guess
But i was asking opinions if anyone else has used the rails stacked next to each other for smaller dance floors then 4 panels next to each other.. I am running into this issue alot lately and wanted some feedback.. I know folks on here use dmx dance floors and/or video dance floors..

I'm confused as to what you mean as far as rails. Wouldn't there be a height issue to deal with?

DMX RGB Rail / DMX RGB Stick / RGB Color Rail
No the height is not an issue at all....Its all how you build out the base box .. Dimensions w/ bracket: (L)39.37in x (W)2.75in x (H)1.18in

I have been building out a box based on the job specs, Install the dmx rgb rails next to each other, screw them in, connect the data and power cords, and leave a ledge about 1/2" above the top of the rails, and place 3/4" frosted acrylic on the ledge and screw it in.

Using the rails has been working great for me with regards to smaller LED dance floors or odd shaped floors. Most traditional LED dance floors (mine do as well) come in 3ft x 3ft panels, and you need a 4 panel block to really view the color effects. I wasn't sure if anyone else has done anything similar or if you had opinions?

By rail, do you mean led tube? I've seen those in dance floors and they've been fairly shoddy. I'm actually in a venue w right nowhere I last used them. I was asking how thee panels physically lock together. Or do they just butt up against each other?

I am kind of wondering how much use a 3' wide dance floor is... I can imagine it would be kind of nifty to have a video on the red carpet, but one would think you could just program your floors to do it all in a line... Otherwise, I guess I kind of miss the point.

Wow,
You sell a DMX Flamethrower.
Thats pretty ill-conceived, and terrifying.

Not nearly as ill conceived as what I was thinking of... I was imagining some sort of Moving head with a legit napalm/compressed air flamethrower on there... Which might be awesome for mounting on the top of a tank, but one would think that best bright LED would not sell such a product... As for what is there, I guess its kind of odd to me... Are there more fail safes?

I am kind of wondering how much use a 3' wide dance floor is... I can imagine it would be kind of nifty to have a video on the red carpet, but one would think you could just program your floors to do it all in a line... Otherwise, I guess I kind of miss the point.

I've used single 1 meter panels before. Put them at each corner of the dance floor, and a pair in front of the DJ booth. The kids liked it, I thought it was cheesy. Hopefully the OP just hasn't made it back here rather than is avoiding my question regarding interlocking multiple panels. I have considered buying some (and would still be interested) but I have yet to see a system where they lock together. In September I did a large stage with 24 panels. It was a pain to build, they didn't sit evenly, and didn't lock together. The supplier sent me with packaging tape!

The ones I have used are DMX (with built in standalone macros). I believe they were 31 channels per panel. Honestly, I've never used them with DMX. The large floor I did would have taken 3 universes and an eternity to program and when using single panels I just connected to a relay so I could remotely control the power. The supplier I got them from used a PC and did some interesting pixel mapping. I wasn't really set up for that and didn't feel like going through the process and/or renting/buying more gear. There are units that connect to media servers but I've never used them.

Last edited:
I've used single 1 meter panels before. Put them at each corner of the dance floor, and a pair in front of the DJ booth. The kids liked it, I thought it was cheesy. Hopefully the OP just hasn't made it back here rather than is avoiding my question regarding interlocking multiple panels. I have considered buying some (and would still be interested) but I have yet to see a system where they lock together. In September I did a large stage with 24 panels. It was a pain to build, they didn't sit evenly, and didn't lock together. The supplier sent me with packaging tape!

Hmmmm. Well, if the backing was some sort of non-skid surface, it would not be unreasonable to use some sort of heavy duty clear tape on the top to tie them together, rather like dance surfaces are often done... Except they might want a higher-friction backing and some much stickier tape...

Hmmmm. Well, if the backing was some sort of non-skid surface, it would not be unreasonable to use some sort of heavy duty clear tape on the top to tie them together, rather like dance surfaces are often done... Except they might want a higher-friction backing and some much stickier tape...

There are rubber feet... I guess it works for the company I got the floor from. I'm just used to building stages that lock with coffin locks and you can drive a car on without problems. Get 100 kids jumping and dancing on a dance floor 3' in the air and using tape seems kind of ghetto...

Sorry bishop the only was i can describe what i talking about is to show you a link.. So im sending it to you via message so folks don't think Im trying to sell my products in the forums..
Yes you just butt them up next to each other screw them down,(5 rails per foot) with my RGB rails there is proprietary 4 pin cable
(2 for data and 2 for power)
proxy.php

Last edited:
Last edited:
Now with the ACTUAL dance floor panels it comes down to the pitch and amount of LED's in the panel..
This basically means how pixelated you want you new floor to look like.. The more LEDS in each panel the better effect the panel will show.
If you have an old school model ( less LEDS) you will have more of a boxy wash..

And tape would never be used on anything i install..

There are rubber feet... I guess it works for the company I got the floor from. I'm just used to building stages that lock with coffin locks and you can drive a car on without problems. Get 100 kids jumping and dancing on a dance floor 3' in the air and using tape seems kind of ghetto...

I suppose that is the truth there... I wonder if Coffin Locks would work ok on the video image... And honestly, I dont like video floors or projection onto floors. They make me disoriented and confused, and in my opinion tend to pull focus from the performer. Also, if your lighting a performer and a video floor, I cant imagine there would not be tradeoffs... Of course, I really dont like clubs for similar reasons, so I suppose they would work there but I like having some visual impression of a solid footing. Although I can see some wicked cool effects if you did an entire hallway totally covered in video panels... I might vomit but it would be cool.

I know what you're saying about watching a video on the floor but in my opinion that's not really what they're about. I think of them more as an abstract effect for dance clubs and parties. I do a lot of Sweet 16 work and kids just like to dance on the moving colorful lights. Now, if video is what's desired some cool things would be making a runway that looks like walking on water. Maybe, and with perfect timing, lava that hardens as a girl walks in the room, or the ground falls away after she's walked on it. Or a video of a red carpet that is actually rolled out in front of her. But to watch a presentation on the floor would be nauseating, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back