RGB ropelight?

jds10011

We are looking for several long-ish (at least 12') pieces of RGB ropelight, to be controlled (eventually) by DMX. It might be neat if individual "pixels" could be controlled, but the ability to color-change the whole thing together would be ok. I'm finding a lot of tutorials on connecting 4-wire LED tape to cheap DMX converters, but nothing that looks like ropelight other than a lot of "comes with built in remote" or "controlled by phone app" products. The production will be in the round so it needs to be visible from more than one side, and the protective nature of the "rope" will be helpful to prevent damage and provide a bit of diffusion, so LED tape is not ideal. Can folks help to point me in the right direction? I'm assuming something is commonly used by the folks who use DMX for their outdoor holiday displays...

Would LED Neon work?

There are a lot of products out there that work this way, you'd have a lot of selection. Not 360 views, but more than 180 depending on how you mount it. I haven't ever worked with any more traditional rope light form factors that do everything you want.

I had a similar need for something that was more than one-sided and ended up with sort of a DIY approach. I bought regular LED pixel tape (WS2811-ish) and stuck it in silicone tubing I found on AliExpress. I don't have the exact link at the moment, but it was something like this (T20D profile). The tube came with a pull string, and inserting the LED tape wasn't too bad with a little care. You want as dense of a pixel pitch as possible for the tape if you want it to look more like neon than individual dots, but I was pretty happy with the results.

Oh, and all of these products are based on tape, so there are limits to how much it flexes in different directions (across the width of the tape vs. along its length).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back