LED fixtures, the good, the bad, the ugly

Mike808

So I am looking for some quality LED fixtures at a good price. We currently have a lot of ColorKinetics Blasts and Blazes which are great but spendy. We also have found some Chinese-made Blast type fixtures with built in power supplies and daisy chain data for A LOT cheaper. I have seen a couple posts in this forum mentioning that someone had a great LED fixture but never mention of how to actually procure such a fixture.

Basically, I am looking for all of the fixture types below -

Striplights (cyc/border lights)
Blast type wall washer (wall/tree uplighting)
PAR (Source4/PAR64 size)

Candidates must be bright and punchy with simple interface, DMX addressable, durable, water resistance is a plus.

Any suggestions?

All my clients love the WDM fixtures. They have a 5W PAR and a 3W wash. Awesome units. I have them running in over two dozen installs and no complaints. Plus they come at a great price. The only issue is of course that they are RGB fixtures. I also have several other RGBAW PARs but I don't know of any RGBAW Blast type units.

Now Bill from ESC lighting has an awesome strip light fixture as well and I believe it is an RGBA unit.

Mike

In terms of strips, BillESC carries the LED420B, which is a 60-LED strip with RGBAW mixing. That sucker is punchy. It can also be divided in to sections (I think it's 3) so you can control each individually via DMX. I had a demo of the fixture myself and it's quite a sturdy unit. Well built for a China-direct fixture.

I've had good experience with pixel pars

Our 420BI fixture features RGBAW color mixing and is available with ip20 or ip65 ratings. The fixture features 60 one watt diodes and is divided into three pixels. The MAP price is $ 999.00 but they can be had for less on the street.

Next week we are receiving two new Par fixtures of our own design, both feature 36 diodes with RGBAW color mixing. One unit will have one watt diodes and the other 3 watt diodes. The final price has not been determined but I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 watt unit comes in under $ 600.00 MAP.

This is two of the 420BI's spaced about 70 feet apart.

proxy.php

So is it just those two fixtures coloring the whole stage pink? Where are the fixtures located in the picture? How many of these do you think would be required to evenly wash a blue cyc that is 20' high by 45' wide? Almost looks as if those two would do it.

So is it just those two fixtures coloring the whole stage pink? Where are the fixtures located in the picture? How many of these do you think would be required to evenly wash a blue cyc that is 20' high by 45' wide? Almost looks as if those two would do it.

Here's the stage left lighting position.

proxy.php

You'd need some distance from the cyc to get an acceptable spread as this fixture has a 45 degree beam spread.

Keep in mind I also sell a cyc silk made specifically for LED units that helps when you are trying to use them like a cyc light.

I have a 3W LED strip light that has an MSRP of $599.99, but it is not RGBAW it is only RGB.

Mike

I would highly recommend the Colorblock 2 for what you are needing. They are extremely flexible. You can put up to 5 of them together like for cyc lighting.
proxy.php

Or you can use them singuarly, for up lighting and special set pieces, and they are great at mixing and erasing those multi-color shadows you see with most LED's.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back