Conventional Fixtures LED House Lighting

While useful, the Liton document is pretty biased towards their products, totally ignoring DMX control, which is all we recommend.

I'd be interested in knowing what fixtures are too "narrow" as we have had trouble finding ones not too wide. I do miss the red shift I will admit.

Here's a compatability document which explains the different LED dimming technologies, and brands of lights that are "supposed" to work with them.
http://www.liton.com/webcatalog/brochures/wp_dimmingfacts.pdf

The problem I have with LED house lights (besides dimming) is that the light is very directional and casts hard shadows. Maybe that's ok in a church where you only need to read what's in front of you. We have LED work lights and it is so hard to work on stage in the shadow 'narrow' coverage of light. Really want to replace them with some good old flourescent tubes.

Compatibility lists are dangerous! LED retrofit lamps are the 'wild west' of lighting - no rules, no promises and anything can change with a different lamp count on a circuit. Manufacturers will make 'minor' product changes that will completely change the dimming response. This even happens in a tested, big name product.

Your second issue of directionality is due to the beam angles not the source type. Would you use a VNSP lamp for acting areas at 15 feet? R and BR type lamps have 80+ degree beams. There are wide angle LEDs and some that take diffusers. The more overlap of pools the softer the shadows.

No, at least not in this size that I know of. Mains dimming and smooth dimming to and from zero are just not likely. That said, in larger size, the RLED is available - http://www.cantousa.com/rled/ - but really meant to replace a 300 or 500 watt quartz. And assuming you don't want to go to replacing dimmers as stated - just lamps - these list around $750. Probably in your case it would cost much less to replace dimmers, but so it goes.

Your in a place where the cheapest way - by way far - to get good dimming is incandescent. Any LED solution will have deficiencies short of replacing fixtures and using constant power and distributed data.

Now - I haven't investigated what it would take to replace with the Arc System - now liscensed in the US by ETC - but call your rep and ask if any of the Arc products could solve your problem. I thoughtthe one cell with mesh network might fit but may be a lot of rewiring. Perhaps one of their lamps could work, but I thought they required wiring in drivers and constant powering them (that would be easy) http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/ArcSystem/.

In general, better to not start a new thread on same issue - DVS may even move these to the old thread.

(And in fact he did while I was posting! How strange.)

PS - the lamps you have are suppose to be dimmable. since I've had the best results with mains dimming using TCP lamps - makes me question your dimmers.

PS2 - you never said how many of the 12 watt LEDs there were. The DMX8DIM would dim 8 circuits at 250 watts max. That would be 20 per circuit and 8 circuits so 160 of the 12 watt TCP retros. But do try to test one or a few before investing much. It worked for me but but we find LEDs, especially with mains dimming, inconsistent. But all together, the DMX8DIM would be a pretty ;ow cost solution compared to even replacing lamps again.

I wish I could stop in - I could give you some realistic options.

Last edited:
FWIW, my venue decided to leave the existing incandescent system in place and add an independent non-dim LED work light system.

The incandescent system is only needed for performances, typically for a half hour before the show starts, during intermission(s), and while the audience exits, maybe 90 minutes total. The LED system gets used at all other times, which is most of the time. We'll be replacing our 100W A19s with 72W halogen equivalents when they start failing.

It's a mostly green solution without shelling out lots of greenbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back