Control/Dimming LED Light DMX Problem?

... 3) Going way off the deep end. In theory you could get some DMX to RJ45 adapters, dump all your DMX cable and run CAT5 everywhere instead. Instead of a splitter run it through a router. That said, I've never done this to that extreme. I setup a small system this way and it worked great, but that was just a cat5 and DMX adapter daisy chain from the console through four wall mounted dimmer packs. I'm not sure about the router part of it, I would want confirmation from some of the geniuses around here first, but in theory I think it will work.
This will not work, in theory or practice. Further, I suspect you mean a hub or switch. DMX512 cannot be distributed with standard networking equipment. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...-lighting-system-dmx-over-ethernet-ideas.html .

The Enttec device mentioned above is the D-Split. I don't think we've ever had a negative report on this opto-splitter, especially considering the price.

Last edited:
Alright so I retract the router/hub/switch idea. However the Cat 5 (or better) daisy chain and RJ45 to DMX adapters works great and is an excellent way to save money if you don't have a huge system and it isn't going to be moving around a lot.

I have had issues with the elation branch 4 splitter before. I had a similar problem and I ended up fixing it by changing out the splitter but originally opened up the splitter and did some creative patching so it would y all of the inputs and outputs together. Yes this goes against the rules of dmx but the show must go on and it was replaced with a Doug fleenor splitter.

Last edited:
It's not a terminator, DMX issue; nor is it unexpected behavior. Sounds like when the fixtures lose DMX, they revert to sound-activated or stand-alone or macro mode. The solution is to remove power to the fixtures before turning off your DMX console. Perhaps there's also a way to disable the stand-alone functions in case of loss of DMX. http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/opti_tri_par.pdf

i have this issue on a few of the DJ grade lights. They default to an auto program. What sucks is if you lose DMX during a service. All of the crap lights start freaking out.

If that's what is happening then try putting every unit in the chain is in "Slave" mode, assuming these fixtures have such a setting. Without a master, they won't do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back