LED lighting new to theatre.

bowmanali

This is probably a rather naive question, but I am new to LED lighting.

My high school just purchased 5 new LED pars. I'm aware I can hook them up some how to get master-slave operation, I'm just rather clueless as to how I can get it to work.

We have an ETC Express board and the lights we purchased are MiniMax.

This is probably a rather naive question, but I am new to LED lighting.

My high school just purchased 5 new LED pars. I'm aware I can hook them up some how to get master-slave operation, I'm just rather clueless as to how I can get it to work.

We have an ETC Express board and the lights we purchased are MiniMax.

By master slave do you mean They all to the same thing, or do you want to connect each one in a row or daisy chain.

If you want them to all do the same thing then set their start DMX address to the same value.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "master-slave operation"? If you're just trying to control all of them, you should be able to daisy-chain them just like any other DMX device. The output from one feeds the input of the next, and so on. If you want to set it up so that they all do the same thing, you can set them all to the same physical address (via the switches on the units themselves) in which case they will all respond to the same dimmer numbers on the board, or you can set them to different physical addresses and then soft patch those dimmer numbers on the board into a single set of channels (ie-group all of the dimmer numbers corresponding to red as one channel, green another, etc). The latter method gives you the freedom later on to control each unit independently just by changing the soft patch without having to go back and change the physical address, so it's generally preferred.

I just want to reiterate the need for clarification from the OP. Master-slave operation is a stand-alone mode and therefore doesn't require--actually cannot receive commands from--a console. If that is truly what you want, RTFM. :evil:

:lol:
-Tim

, or you can set them to different physical addresses and then soft patch those dimmer numbers on the board into a single set of channels (ie-group all of the dimmer numbers corresponding to red as one channel, green another, etc). The latter method gives you the freedom later on to control each unit independently just by changing the soft patch without having to go back and change the physical address, so it's generally preferred.

This is think is your best bet. Provided this is what you mean as far as controlling them (one set of master controls for all their functions.)

As pointed out if you ever want to separate them out at a later time it's just s imple boards soft-patch change rather then having to run to the grid or catwalk and change your DMX addressing.

make sure the dipswitches are set properly. some of mine require number 10 to be flipped while others do not. depends on the par. you'll want them set-up for DMX not master-slave. read the manual, its got all the addresses and dipswitch configurations. if not, look online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back