led pars

itie

hello guys i was looking to buy some led pars but i never used leds before. i found these two first second im not looking to spend more the 150 per unit but would like to not spend much. i did a show where a guy used colorblast to do some wall lighting and i loved the way it looked and how he could control the color. i think these would be good for wall lighting but are they good for anything else? and lastly i know they are controled through dmx but how do they get power and can the dmx be daisy chained? wall plug? because i remember the colorblast needed a power supply.

thanks
giovanni

Honestly those aren't good for much of anything.

To get a unit worth having you are going to have to go $150.

I like ColorKey.

Mike

If you want below 150 you're going to have to rent. The ALPS rental list has some good options.

I will echo Esoteric's statement on price. I've used a handful of LED fixtures and they have all been great for setting the scene (not so much for facelight), but everyting I've used is a good deal more than $150/ unit. LED's are still a budding technology and because of it you're gonna have to spend some cash to get good ones.

As far as power goes everything I've used is good for some huge range like 90-250V @ 50 -60Hz, or basically they've been made to be plugged into wall power anywhere in the world. Some manufactures may produce units with a lot smaller power range as a cost lowering device, not sure on that one. It does look like the ColorBlast uses a power supply. I wasn't aware that anyone was doing this, but it's just something you'll have to pay attention to. I don't believe that power supplies are the standard for LED light.

As far as data, yes you can daisy chain them. Just make sure you select a unit that you have the cable and/or adapters for, I've seen 3 pin XLR, 5 pin XLR, and RJ45 connectors on LED units and usually just one choice.

a $150 fixture is going to be good for wall washing and some FX.

a Dozen Color Blasts + PSU is going to cost about $12,000. They run about a grand a piece. They have always used a power supply to decode the DMX signal and supply power. The PSU is made by City Theatrical, and the Model Number is PDS750. This Power Supply is Specific to Color Kinetics LED. It does used Scroller Cable, but this PSU is for these units...

i'm using some dj-style LED pars and they're not great for distance. our venue is small, so its not a big deal and they do well enough, but its still not half as much light as a regular fixture. we only use them because our dimmers haven't worked in 30 years and we don't have the money to replace them. the ones you previewed are ok for washing walls or scrims, we use them for that all the time. they can be daisy-chained with DMX and the power is a regular wall outlet. shoot, we have 20 of them plugged in through surge protector and have had no problems. (i know its not the brightest thing to do, but we're a flat broke high school program. it works for temporary uses)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back