LED-washing?

This whole "green thing" as it relates to theatrical lighting is simply a joke.

The mere fact that we are using ANY type of augmented lighting goes against the "green" argument, so saving a watt here and there while putting up 300 lights is a tad bit counter productive to the "green" movement.
There is logic behind this opinion, but I would have to disagree. There has much discussion on this very topic recently within the industry. In fact I just read these two articles in the latest PLSN, Counting and Measuring Meaning in Life and Green Lighting for Concert Touring, that I think everyone should take a look at.

Furthermore since most of us either use generators or power supplied by the venue, saving electricity is a non issue in my opinion.
I just don't even know what this is suppose to mean.

This whole "green thing" as it relates to theatrical lighting is simply a joke.

The mere fact that we are using ANY type of augmented lighting goes against the "green" argument, so saving a watt here and there while putting up 300 lights is a tad bit counter productive to the "green" movement.

This post only shows ignorance. "Saving a watt here and there while putting up 300 lights" is saving 300 watts here and there. Even by your disillusioned numbers that's a significant savings. For it to be more in perspective, though, change that "a watt" to "hundreds of watts" per fixture (if you're comparing LED pars to a Par56) and then multiply by your 300 number. You should really look into the facts of the things that you are so against.

Furthermore since most of us either use generators or power supplied by the venue, saving electricity is a non issue in my opinion.

I am by no means an environmentalist, but I feel like you're the reason those timed water faucets exist in public restrooms. "It's not my water, I'll just leave it running." How can you even say the above statement without realizing how people will respond to it?

Sorry to sound a bit harsh here, but do you know how electricity gets made? Unless your facility happens to have a wind farm or a huge solar array on top of it, Electricity gets made by generators in all situations, the ones supplying the mains of your building just happen to be a bit larger (several hundred times larger, but its still the same principal). Now, what happens when you use a mains power is that some sort of fossil fuel gets burned, either Natural Gas, Oil, or Coal (in order of cleanest to dirtyest), which in large generation facilities creates heat, which evaporates water, which then turns a turbine, which then uses a generator to make electricity. A portable genny uses an internal combustion engine instead of a turbine. Either of these options still burns organic compounds, which chemistry in HS teaches us creates 2 things, CO2 and H2O. A lot of other things are also created, usually impurities in the fuel source or byproduct reactions, wich generally releases noxious gasses. Soot is also produced, moreso with coal. Much of this is scrubbed out in special scrubbers before the exhaust leaves the stacks. At any rate, all of these processes add CO2 (a primary greenhouse gas) to the air. The more power you use, the more gets added (think of using a small genny to run a few saws on a job site, vs. a big one that can keep the hospital running, the big one makes more nastys). THIS is why saving energy is a big deal. The major saved resource is not money, its the air, and mountains that get their tops chopped off for the coal underneath. I assume you probably like the air beign relatively clear, if you dont care, move to China where its a big problem and see how that goes for you. Mountains are also nice. Money is just one reason to use more LEDs and whatnot, because it gives a tanginble insentive to helping save resources.

Your clearly are neither part of the green movement nor understand what their goals are. The goal is to use as little energy as possible, but if we have a good reason to use energy, it does get used. Its why green homes are lit with LEDs, we as humans still need some sort of illumination to do our things. Having stage lighting is fine, but we do seek to reduce the amount of energy used in creating the same effects. Its why an LED ERS is such a big hope of mine, screw money, its the keeping coal in the ground and out of my air that I tend to care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back