Control/Dimming Legacy Unison ER Control Rack dimmer problems

IIRC, when you reset the rack, Unison blows out the configuration file and it needs to manually be reloaded. The steps from that are included in this document. The configuration file you're looking for traditionally is labeled "Unison 1" and would be on a floppy disc left sitting in the processor's floppy disc drive.

If this is an emergency, I'd recommend contacting ETC's 24/7 tech support pager at 800.688.4116.

The configuration file issue aside -- what prompted you to reset the Unison processor?

It'd be unusual but not unprecedented for an error of that or similar flavor to occur, but I can't help but think it would be unlikely that Unison would be the cause.

First things first, load your configuration file and get your button stations working. Then check to see if your lighting console can turn on lights controlled by Unison. If it isn't, you will want to verify that the console is outputting to the system.

Can you elaborate more on your setup (console, how your console talks to your Unison rack -- Net3, Net2, DMX)?

If this is mission-critical for activities tonight, you can call ETC's support pager and skip trying to figure out here at CB. If not, I'm sure the ETC tech services person on call would appreciate if you wait until tomorrow daytime to call.

Last edited:
So as you can probably tell, I'm not a pro at this by anyone's definition. I was simply doing damage control. The Unison command unit is connected to a Sensor+ dimming rack (which was the actual source of the problem. The control module for one of the racks crashed and we cycled the systems power and that solved that.) Anyhow, is it unusual for the command thing of a sensor+ rack to fail. Could it be a sign of a bigger problem?
*Edit
It's DMX and we use an Express 48/96

So long as it keeps behaving properly, I'd recommend contacting ETC about it on Monday or this week. Preferably at a time when you can talk to them on the phone and are standing at the dimmer racks. It's best if that's at a time when you can make it dark for a couple minutes at the time if need be in the event the control module needs to be rebooted.

If you see the issue again before then, give ETC a call at that time before you start resetting or rebooting anything.

They may tell you that it's nothing to worry about unless you see that control module crash again. They may tell you to send the module into them for repair. My suspicion is the former unless they have reason to believe the module's hardware is failing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back