Light Plots.

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was any good programs out there that are made specifically to design light plots? i tried using google sketch-up but its kinda confusing. I recently got back from The Utah Shakespeare Festival, i was in the tech camp there and we learned alot about light plots and lighting and pretty much everything else it takes to run a show. Anyways thats not the point lol. I need a program made for light plots or one that can make one. Im using windows btw....

Other popular options would be WYSIWYG and LD Assistant (AutoCAD). If you need to do any work for non-educational venues, I would say LD Assistant might be the cheapest option...

Alternatively - you could get some paper, straight edge, and draw your plots by hand. This way you can focus on the design, and not on learning a drafting package.

Just as moving lights are not required to do a snow, a computer is not required to design one. Indeed my understanding is that in some highly regarded lighting design programs, students are not required to draft their plots by hand for the first year or two.

Alternatively - you could get some paper, straight edge, and draw your plots by hand. This way you can focus on the design, and not on learning a drafting package.

Just as moving lights are not required to do a snow, a computer is not required to design one. Indeed my understanding is that in some highly regarded lighting design programs, students are not required to draft their plots by hand for the first year or two.

Well I mean it makes sense you dont need moving lights to make it snow, and I would guess most places would not require you to use one method or the other...;) However, the hardest thing about doing it by hand is if you dont have the right stuff to do it (straightedge, triangles, t-square, the right kind of pencils and paper, a compass and templates, and a drafting table), it can cost as much as a drafting package to get all the things you need. Also, if you are going to hand draft, you better have all your plot done right and VERY neatly when it gets to me, and have to be ready to send full new plots for changes and whatnot. I hate it when LDs bring in a hand drafted plot that is smudged, drafted too lightly, lacks proper line significance, etc. Seriously, if you have not taken a drafting class and cant for a while, download LXFree or another free program, and use that. And spend some time to make it neat.

[rant]
Seriously. Do LDs really not get enough training in how to make pretty drafting that I end up getting a plot that I cant read? When your using VW or any other program, I cant stand it when the scenery, architecture and lights are all in the same line weight, color, etc. Everyone needs to take drafting classes so as everyone else can read the plot quickly and efficiently.
[/rant]

Vectorworks has a free Student/Educational version, you just have to document your student status. Lightwright as well offers a cheaper ($135 vs. $540) version for students, that's good for 3 years.

These two programs are pretty much the industry standard at what they do and learning them now gives you a marketable skill to put on your resume.

I have seen a few people draft in AutoCAD, hell an old TD/LD of mine didn't even know how to use VectorWorks and did all his drafting in AutoCAD and when it came to VectorWorks he would call me or my assistant in.

My Freebie program of choice is definitely LXFree. Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts and interface, it is simple to use, at least for smaller plots. Has a decent built in generator for reports, but in the Java version I use on my PC and Linux (don't own an Apple) I can't seem to get just a text file out of it in which I can format and bring into LightWright.

Milk that free VW License for all you can. It is worth every non cent that you spend on it. LightWright Demo is useful for up to 75 fixtures. If you don't have that many in your space, go for it.

I'd like to point out that with a free version of Vectorworks, you can make rather decent paperwork. It's not as good as Lightwright, but it's faster than doing it manually and gives you less chances to make an error.

My Freebie program of choice is definitely LXFree. Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts and interface, it is simple to use, at least for smaller plots. Has a decent built in generator for reports, but in the Java version I use on my PC and Linux (don't own an Apple) I can't seem to get just a text file out of it in which I can format and bring into LightWright.

Milk that free VW License for all you can. It is worth every non cent that you spend on it. LightWright Demo is useful for up to 75 fixtures. If you don't have that many in your space, go for it.

He said again...

I would use the Vectorworks license, it's great and the Educational Version of Vectorworks watermark isn't that big. I would just suggest downloading it one night, when your done with your computer, because downloading it takes a while (assuming you get everything).

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I mean it makes sense you dont need moving lights to make it snow, and I would guess most places would not require you to use one method or the other...;) However, the hardest thing about doing it by hand is if you dont have the right stuff to do it (straightedge, triangles, t-square, the right kind of pencils and paper, a compass and templates, and a drafting table), it can cost as much as a drafting package to get all the things you need. Also, if you are going to hand draft, you better have all your plot done right and VERY neatly when it gets to me, and have to be ready to send full new plots for changes and whatnot. I hate it when LDs bring in a hand drafted plot that is smudged, drafted too lightly, lacks proper line significance, etc. Seriously, if you have not taken a drafting class and cant for a while, download LXFree or another free program, and use that. And spend some time to make it neat.

[rant]
Seriously. Do LDs really not get enough training in how to make pretty drafting that I end up getting a plot that I cant read? When your using VW or any other program, I cant stand it when the scenery, architecture and lights are all in the same line weight, color, etc. Everyone needs to take drafting classes so as everyone else can read the plot quickly and efficiently.
[/rant]

So let me agree and disagree.
The OP is a HS student who seems to be just starting out in lighting.

IMHO someone just starting out and wanting to learn design needs to design lights, not produce pretty paper. You don't want to have anything get in the way of your design ideas / concepts. Get some gridded tracing paper and a straight edge. Get some #2 pencils, and an eraser. If you want to splurge get some templates with various fixtures. Use these simple tools to figure out what you want to do.

If you are in HS ( or just starting out ) you will likely be hanging the show yourself. The goal of your paperwork should be to clarify in detail what you intend to hang, what colors you use, what circuits and dimmers you plan on. This is a planning document for you, not a communication document to other people. If you have folks helping you, you need to produce clear enough paper to have them help you effectively. Again until you are doing larger shows, you can probably do this quicker with a pencil and paper than any computer program on the market.

Now once you are not the guy hanging the show, the paperwork suddenly has another goal. It is to communicate clearly to your electrician what you want done - and to do that without having to ask you any questions. It all needs to be on the plot and supporting paperwork. So if you are asking shiben to hang your show, you owe it to him and yourself to be very clear, precise, and clean about what you want. Should this be hand drafted or software - your choice. Probably depends on the size of the show and what tools ( software or drafting tools ) you have available.

Re the rant.

I am blessed with the opportunity to be part of the Hemsley Lighting Portfolio Review each year and I get to look at a lot of plots by graduating students. Some are wonderful and clear. Some not so much. ( One of Ken Billington's oft heard comments is that you only need to dimension the plot if you care where the lights will be placed ) The students who get hired as assistants are usually those who can produce clear, precise, and easily readable paperwork. None of them are hand drawn. Most ( I think all) of them use VectorWorks. Interestingly enough - last year some of the best drawn plots were from North Carolina School of the Arts. My understanding is that for the first year or two of their training those students are not allowed to draft on a computer. The instructor believes ( and I agree with the sentiment ) that you learn line weights, etc best when you start doing it by hand.

Now I admit I'm old school and learned to draft by hand. I do my drafting with a computer nowadays. But I believe that my designs are better, and my drafting clearer because I learned how to do it by hand. It just involves a different part of the brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back