Lighting AND/OR Sound short courses - Summer 2012

Jaixom

Hi everyone, I've been browsing around and looking to see if anyone's already answered my question but doesn't look like they have.

I'm based in Hong Kong and have been hired as the Performing Arts Technician at an international secondary (high school) here. I have basic competence with lights and sound (I studied in the British system, so I've been studying drama/theatre studies all the way through high school) and I also did my BA in Theatre in the UK.

I want to get more hands on training, and my school will actually pay for my course.

For various reasons, I'll be in the US around the NYC/Boston area this Summer. I've not had much success googling for courses, but does anyone know of anything similar to this course that RADA have in London in the UK?

RADA | Short Courses | Lighting Design for the Theatre

The previous performing arts tech did the above course when the summer after he started working here, and again the school paid for it, but this year it'll be impossible to go to London because of the Olympics.

Any advice is appreciated!

J

I realize it's the wrong end of the country, but...
There's Stagecraft Institute | hands-on training in cutting-edge live entertainment technology in sunny (hot-as-h3ck) Las Vegas, Nevada. It's possible/probable that this will be the its final year due to the passing of its founder, Don Childs. Opinions of the program vary, see the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/7509-stagecraft-institute.html .

You might also try the site http://livedesignonline.com/masterclasses/ to see if they have something in your time frame and location.

Last edited:
Again unfortunately it's the wrong side of the country from New York but, Central Washington University offers a summer program for teachers. I have attended this program off and on to maintain my certification for about 8 years now. They are still working on this summer's schedule but it looks like Lighting will be offered June 27-July 7. You go for about 3 1/2 hours a day and get 3 credits when you are done. The class will most likely be a beginning class, but the instructor is very good and I'm sure would do her best to challenge everyone in the class to learn something new. The lighting design instructor is a great person and although I haven't taken this class, I have really enjoyed other classes she has taught.

I don't see anything from either Purchase or NYU that would be to your liking. Most college during the summer assume their students are going to go out into the world and work at summerstocks/theme parks/etc. City Tech might have something for you. Our own View Profile: JohnHuntington - ControlBooth teaches there and could probably give you some information. Beyond that, there are the broadway master classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back