Lighting cable hanging best practices

Interesting discussion! I've just tidied up our community theatre and removed several years worth of gaffer and electrical tape. I've used a mixture of zip-ties and velcro. A 50m roll of velcro cost almost nothing and because our (few) lights are re-positioned reasonably often it will make this process much easier.

However I note from the thread in the link above that very few people use velcro - is there some reason I shouldn't be using it?

Velcro does a great job for one tie use that I haven't seen mentioned. An almost permanently attached tie at the female end of each cable. Use it to tie up that last loop at the fixture and to secure the coil when not on in use. That one thing, always having that one tie, makes a huge difference in the overall neatness of any rig.

Oh, Velcro.

If you have a lot of cables, the Velcro does a good job of keeping each coil neat. But put more than one in a coil and the Velcro from separate coils will cling together, which means you often pull out a clump of cables rather than a single one.

Over time, Velcro deteriorates, grabbing onto loose threads, the nap from soft goods, hair, the odd splotches of paint, you name it.

There'should also the noise associated with Velcro; in this usage I don't see it being an issue, but many wardrobe folk I know avoid it for that reason.

I prefer tie line myself - unglazed, and cut longer than you might think.

In our venue we cut old pieces of #14 electrical wire into 12 to 18 inch lengths and use them to tie up cable. Strong and reusable. Stores in a cheap plastic toolbox nicely as well.

In our venue we cut old pieces of #14 electrical wire into 12 to 18 inch lengths and use them to tie up cable. Strong and reusable. Stores in a cheap plastic toolbox nicely as well.

Seen the house electricians in convention centers do that. Also they wrap them around coiled cables instead of tie line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back