Lighting Console Brand

Depends what you're looking to do with it. First, toss out the Behringer Eurolight as an option. It is universally regarded as all but unusable. I've attempted to coach several poor souls through using them and it almost always ends with getting a new console.

What will you be controlling? The Stage Setter is designed for dimmers & maybe some LED cans while the Chauvet DMX 40B is designed for multiple low-end moving lights. The DMX 40B isn't made any more, I wouldn't buy it. The Obey series is the current line from Chauvet.

So what are you controlling it, how do you want to use it, and how much are you willing to spend?

I second the motion on throwing out the Behringer.
I spent at least two solid days trying to convince myself that it was in fact useful.
My attempt failed miserably.

Hello,
I am looking to purchase a small lighting console. The three that I looked at are: 1. Behringer Eurolight LC2412 2.Chauvet DMX 40B Controller or 3. Elation Stage setter 24. Which is the better console as far as features, reliability, and ease of use?

epicket1
If you can find one, I suggest a Colortran Status (either 12/24 or 24/48; I have the 12/24) console. It's really great, it works fine, but it is on the older side. Also, my model has only one DMX-512 output, and there are no virtual channels; ie, locked at 24 or 12 depending on if you run it in single scene or two-scene. If you're controlling dimmers only, this board should work okay. (If you have a larger venue, go for the 24/48.) If you're primarily running LEDs, go for the Chauvet OBEY or something from American DJ or Elation. They have some good DMX-specific boards with a few dedicated conventional channels, such as this one:
American DJ DMX Operator Pro Controller at zZounds

I am controlling a few LED Par 64's, 2 Lekos, and 3 Fresnels. I am willing to Spend $300. Used mostly to light clubs, weddings, and film.

Thank you,
epicket1

Well all I can tell you is that in that price range you definitely get what you pay for....
not very helpful, but consider it a word of warning

Stage setter is usually pretty decent and easy enough, at least for what you're doing. I don't have any experience with Chauvet's boards. The only person I've seen legitimately using a Eurolight is the CIA, and most of their units were in automatic modes.

Our BlueLite X1-Mini is a USB, PC controller ($399) that has more than enough capabilities for your needs. We recently released our free iPanel app, allowing you control of our Live Panel (a control screen designed for Live, DJ style use) using your iPhone/iPad/Android device. We also have the ability to use MIDI as input control as well as an Input for an external DMX console.
Feel free to call and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

You might also want to consider an Enttec DMXIS. In that price range I would rather trust an old laptop and some good software to the crappy DJ alternatives.

You might also want to consider an Enttec DMXIS. In that price range I would rather trust an old laptop and some good software to the crappy DJ alternatives.

I don't want gafftaper (or anyone else) think the BlueLite X1 is some "...crappy DJ alternative...". The BlueLite X1 is an extremely powerful combination of hardware and software, designed by an extraordinary engineer with a background spanning a variety of fields (sound/lights/lasers/etc.), including a Technical Merit Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. You can read something about him in a 2005 PLSN Interview on our website.
While DJ's (and most of our users ;) ) like our system, it's powerful enough that it was being used to control the Fremont Street Experience in downtown Las Vegas.
We're currently soliciting feedback from users (DJ's and others) that would find a BlueLite VST plug-in module (for use with audio programs such as Sonar, ProTools, etc.) useful, for suggestions as to what type of User Interface and behavior would be expected from the VST plug-in.

I worked with a system a few years ago that used an Enttec DMXIS in conjunction with an Abelton Live system that was very reliable, and I'm sure it would be more than suitable and reliable for your needs, but you'll forgive me if I suggest our products will provide the reliablity you need plus offer you added capabilty and features not found on other PC based systems. Contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions or just discuss your needs.

I don't want gafftaper (or anyone else) think the BlueLite X1 is some "...crappy DJ alternative...".

Sorry, AhClem. I definitely didn't mean to infer that BlueLite X1 is a crappy DJ alternative. I was referring to the sub $300 "consoles" made by Behringer and friends. In fact, I actually meant to infer that BlueLiteX 1 and DMXis are both "good software" alternatives that are much more reliable and powerful than Behringer and it's ilk... but unfortunately it didn't come out that way. I haven't had a chance to use BlueLite X1 in person but from what I've read it looks like another excellent computer based lighting control option. It looks like strong competition for Enttec DMXis, Gam's Plexus (co-created by CB member Jchenault) and ChamSys MagicQ. All are well done and have very different approaches to how they work. This is great for consumers because you can find a solution that is in your price range and operates the way you like to think about lighting. Of course there's also the upside of powerful lighting control that doesn't cost over $10,000

So again my apologies AhClem. Hopefully I'll be able to meet you and catch a demo of the X1 at a trade show some time.

I use MagicQ on my laptop with a USB-RS485 interface I built. It's almost the same as the Enttec open DMX USB, but it cost me about $20 to build. I've had no trouble with it so far.

So if you already have a laptop, MagicQ might be an option for you.

Sorry, AhClem. I definitely didn't mean to infer that BlueLite X1 is a crappy DJ alternative. I was referring to the sub $300 "consoles" made by Behringer and friends. In fact, I actually meant to infer that BlueLiteX 1 and DMXis are both "good software" alternatives that are much more reliable and powerful than Behringer and it's ilk... but unfortunately it didn't come out that way. I haven't had a chance to use BlueLite X1 in person but from what I've read it looks like another excellent computer based lighting control option. It looks like strong competition for Enttec DMXis, Gam's Plexus (co-created by CB member Jchenault) and ChamSys MagicQ. All are well done and have very different approaches to how they work. This is great for consumers because you can find a solution that is in your price range and operates the way you like to think about lighting. Of course there's also the upside of powerful lighting control that doesn't cost over $10,000

So again my apologies AhClem. Hopefully I'll be able to meet you and catch a demo of the X1 at a trade show some time.

No apologies are really necessary. I could tell the response was referring to the low end hardware (I've had to perform shows using a 'bargain', $175, used console that 'stepped' more than 'faded' :( ), but I was afraid the brevity of the response, following immedately after mine, might have been misinterpreted.
Sorry if I overreacted.

(Any recommendations on the "best" shows in the 'trade show circuit'? )

(Any recommendations on the "best" shows in the 'trade show circuit'? )

You should talk to Kelite or one of the ETC crew about that question as they attend them all.

My point of view is that of a technician from Educational theater who has only attended LDI mostly due to travel expenses (Next time USITT comes to the west coast I will probably attend, but until then it's LDI Vegas for me).

If you have the budget and global ambitions then you need to go to PLASA, it's definitely the biggest and best of the shows. If you don't have the budget to go to London and are US focused in your marketing, then LDI is focused on the industry and products. This is the show to get your equipment seen by the most dealers, vendors, system designers, consultants, and other pros. USITT is the other US alternative. It's focus is more on the technician, workshops, and training. They do have a trade show that's around 1/3 the size of LDI. USITT is a good show to attend if you want to be able to expose your product directly to potential customers.

You should talk to Kelite or one of the ETC crew about that question as they attend them all.

My point of view is that of a technician from Educational theater who has only attended LDI mostly due to travel expenses (Next time USITT comes to the west coast I will probably attend, but until then it's LDI Vegas for me).

If you have the budget and global ambitions then you need to go to PLASA, it's definitely the biggest and best of the shows. If you don't have the budget to go to London and are US focused in your marketing, then LDI is focused on the industry and products. This is the show to get your equipment seen by the most dealers, vendors, system designers, consultants, and other pros. USITT is the other US alternative. It's focus is more on the technician, workshops, and training. They do have a trade show that's around 1/3 the size of LDI. USITT is a good show to attend if you want to be able to expose your product directly to potential customers.

AhChem, choosing which tradeshow/s to spend your marketing dollar is like choosing a console. Determining the target need for a console, or in this case- target market for a lighting product is the first step to success. There are many tradeshows, and many show account reps happy to take your money- but the markets they serve vary.

I am controlling a few LED Par 64's, 2 Lekos, and 3 Fresnels. I am willing to Spend $300. Used mostly to light clubs, weddings, and film.

Thank you,
epicket1
I'm just going to back up my original statement and say that a Status would work fine for what you're doing. I use my board to do essentially the same things you do. If the p64 led units have 3 or more dmx channels, don't hesitate to use a computer-based software controller (Enttec, BlueLite, etc.) I've heard they work pretty well, and I'm actually in the market for a MagicQ dongle/software package for a remote-control project I'm working on.

cheap, small, flexible would be the Pocket Console. Oh, and it would be good to save up a bit more than $300. And ditch the Behringer and American DJ options if you can.

Expensive option would be the GrandMA onPC, but for now, don't hesitate to ask dealers for demos, and maybe even check out used places like Lightbroker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back