Lighting Consoles for 20K

If I'm looking to fill my rider, I'm looking for nothing less than an MA2 light.

If this is for personal use, I'd much rather have a command wing/fader wing/two external touchscreens than an MA2 Ultralight. Hell, I'd give up the fader wing for a MIDI wing and still take a 2-touchscreen wing rig over an ultralight.

One nice thing about the Avo is that you get the same software in every product. The only difference between the $200 DMX dongle and the $39,000 Sapphire Touch is the number of universes, encoders, screens, faders, and other hardware. The software is the same. I'm personally considering a Tiger Touch 2 and a fader wing. Also note the $2,700 Titan mobile wing works with any other desk, so if you just want to add on a bunch of subs, you don't have to buy the $6000 Tiger touch fader wing, you get that if you have other features you want. So much flexibility in Titan and options that you can make match your price range. Plus it's just really easy to use. Check out the demo videos we shot at LDI

I suppose the same argument could be made for Chamsys, but Avo has a lot more options to choose from.

Last edited:
One nice thing about the Avo is that you get the same software in every product. The only difference between the $200 DMX dongle and the $39,000 Sapphire Touch is the number of universes, encoders, screens, faders, and other hardware. The software is the same. I'm personally considering a Tiger Touch 2 and a fader wing. Also note the $2,700 Titan mobile wing works with any other desk, so if you just want to add on a bunch of subs, you don't have to buy the $6000 Tiger touch fader wing, you get that if you have other features you want. So much flexibility in Titan and options that you can make match your price range. Plus it's just really easy to use. Check out the demo videos we shot at LDI

I suppose the same argument could be made for Chamsys, but Avo has a lot more options to choose from.

As far as I know the only place your limited on universes is on the one universe dongle. All the other consoles are capable of supporting 4 universe over copper and another 12 or 16 over artnet, SACN, etc. The way Brad explained it to me they can even potentially support more universes, it all depends on what's patched in. The numbers they quote are if your putting maximum demand on the processor. Something like LED pars where all the channels could be used at the same time puts more demand on the processors than a moving light where your probably not using more than 1/2 of the channels at any given time.

It seems like the only manufacturer that changes the software features depending on the console, is ETC. This is probably beside the point, because any ETC desk would be thoroughly inappropriate for the original posters use.
MA, AVO, Chamsys, Martin, and I think Hog, all have the same software features, but scale the Hardware and DMX outputs.

There are of coarse some limits. MA for example is exactly the same software across the board, but you are limited to 4096 parameters on a PC system(roughly 8-12 universes) though It will serve as a backup for 256 universes.
Chamsys limits the outputs on the inexpensive an small MQ consoles, but its a lot of bang for the buck, but gives you 64? universes on PC. Again same software across the line.
Martin also offers the same software all the way from PC to the M6, and gives you(4) free universes with the PC software. Also the M-touch is an incredible value at about $500.

About AVO...Can anyone explain why the Tiger Touch II, and the Quartz both exist?

I wondered too about the Quartz when it first came out. Having seen them deployed on gigs though it does seem like a good idea. Its smaller and cheaper basically - small enough for places with really tight control positions, or on top of a dimmer rack for stage-side control/backup. Also small enough to be handled easily by one person and this I think is the main thing. It will go in a Peli wheeled case and be liftable, can be stuck in the trunk of your car etc.
Actually I think they missed a trick here and it should be even smaller - like the size of a ChamSys 70 so that it could be taken on board aircraft as carry on baggage. That would have been a killer feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back