Lightwright no VW

dpgiffin

Hi all -

I do one or two shows a year for my local High School. I have always done hand plots and hand lists. I own an older copy of Autocad LT and have started to do my plots in there.

I don't really want to spend the money on VW, but i'd like to get lightwright to make my life easier for those few weeks.

Is it worth it without vectorworks? How can I use LW with autocad LT?

Thanks!

I have used every version of Lightwright since before the dinosaurs became oil and find it to be the program to use for the basic paperwork that deals with the data associated with a lighting plot and plan. In addition to the very basic functions, which in truth can be done on a well configured free spread sheet, it does things like "knows" how to count color frames to get sheet order, generate a patch file for the console, can do error checking of electrical loading on circuits and dimmers, can readily deal with address assigning of multiple DMX universes. etc.... all in a program that thinks and talks the lingo of the electrician and LD, among the many features. I have always found it useful for that alone. Could you do this in a free spreadsheet or data base - Yes, but you'd spend a lot of time making it work as well, if you ever got to that point.

The data exchange between Lightwright and other programs is at a basic level in a standard spreadsheet format where LW can import and export tab or comma separated data. Thus if the CAD program can deal with the fields of information that LW generates and can handle that in an import and export, that data exchange can work.

The LW exchange method with Vectorworks has a system sees any changes being made in either program and allows automatic updating of the file in both programs. Thus if you do this a lot and do a lot of light plots, it's worth having VW.

You might qualify for the free education edition but the Vectorworks website is not clear as to whether a high school educator is allowed to download the free educational edition, the link is here:

http://www.vectorworks.net/education/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back