Linking Offline EOS Software on Mac to ION Console

imbrandone

I have yet to work with networks and the venue we are attending doesn't have a network set up.

I have a personal router I am planning to bring, what procedure do I need to set up the board onto my network and link my Offline Software on my Mac to the board?

I have yet to work with networks and the venue we are attending doesn't have a network set up.

I have a personal router I am planning to bring, what procedure do I need to set up the board onto my network and link my Offline Software on my Mac to the board?

The simplest setup would be to make sure ion is configured as the DHCP server and then connect a network cable from the ion to your Mac. Mac sure you Mac is set up to be a DHCP client and it should be assigned an IP address from the Ion. This setup will work with any computer that has an auto-sensing network port that can accept computer-to-computer connections with automatic crossover configuration. All current Mac models do this. If you have a computer that doesn't do this, you would need a network switch.

You also need to make sure that the console and your computer are running the EXACT same version of the EOS software. They will not be able to talk to eachother if the versions are different.

I would skip using your personal router as it would require a fairly deep reconfiguration to work with the ETC network. If you need to be able to connect multiple devices, an unmanaged switch is probably the best.

You can use the direct connection setup without the console set up as a DHCP server as long as you configure your computer with an appropriate IP address in the same subnet as the console.

The simplest setup would be to make sure ion is configured as the DHCP server and then connect a network cable from the ion to your Mac. Mac sure you Mac is set up to be a DHCP client and it should be assigned an IP address from the Ion. This setup will work with any computer that has an auto-sensing network port that can accept computer-to-computer connections with automatic crossover configuration.

My goal is to be able to access the console wirelessly and program from onstage in addition to having access to control channels while focusing. The venue doesn't have any onstage set ups, and being that I am prepping for this show on my own, would make this very time consuming.

As Thomas mentioned, wireless will be very slow and bogged down. Wired is recommended, and Cat 5 runs can be up to 300'

My goal is to be able to access the console wirelessly and program from onstage in addition to having access to control channels while focusing. The venue doesn't have any onstage set ups, and being that I am prepping for this show on my own, would make this very time consuming.

You can do wireless, but it is very unreliable for most operations other than running iRFR. Running the full blow client software over wireless is quite painful. I have done it, it works in a pinch, but is far from ideal. If you are set on wireless, I wouldn't recommend using consumer grade wireless hardware. Business or enterprise class hardware will provide far better reliability. However, long Ethernet cable is a lot cheaper than good wireless equipment.

To put it another way, if it is show critical, it shouldn't be wireless unless there is no other way.

You can do wireless, but it is very unreliable for most operations other than running iRFR. Running the full blow client software over wireless is quite painful. I have done it, it works in a pinch, but is far from ideal. If you are set on wireless, I wouldn't recommend using consumer grade wireless hardware. Business or enterprise class hardware will provide far better reliability. However, long Ethernet cable is a lot cheaper than good wireless equipment.

To put it another way, if it is show critical, it shouldn't be wireless unless there is no other way.
I won't be running the show wirelessly it will be from the board, it's just for focusing purposes. But with the iRFR application can it be ran off consume grade network equipment. I have a low budget and from what I understand the console has no network.

I won't be running the show wirelessly it will be from the board, it's just for focusing purposes. But with the iRFR application can it be ran off consume grade network equipment. I have a low budget and from what I understand the console has no network.
If you just want to run the iRFR, you can get away with consumer grade wireless gear. You will either want to use a WAP or configure your router so that it functions only as an access point and not a router. You will want to disable the router's DHCP server, and let the console serve DHCP. Or you could configure the router to serve DHCP in the correct subnet for the console. In any case, you won't want to connect anything to the WAN port of the router.

Depending on the size and construction of the venue and the location of the console, you may need to place the WAP close to the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back