Little Giant Cage?

Having fallen off a 10' foot ladder, through a ceiling tile grid and walking away unscathed, I have a certain respect for work at height. At the time (being the 17-year-old, know-it-all, cable-monkey that I was), I didn't think much of it and brushed off the large bruise in my thigh from where I connected with the ladder support (thus destroying the metal strap and most of the ladder). I think it might have saved my leg.

It was a few years later when I learned of the OSHA 6' rule that I realized how lucky I was and how severe an accident it could have been. The incongruity between my reaction and the rest of the office I worked for made sense after I picked up that little fact. I no longer take working aloft lightly.

I don't know if I'd do a zip line though...:eek:

As a climber, I do pretty well with heights as long as I know I'm safe. Still though, every so often when I'm up in a lift and the lift sways one way while the electric sways the other, I mentally freak out for a second. Same with ladders.

As a climber, I do pretty well with heights as long as I know I'm safe. Still though, every so often when I'm up in a lift and the lift sways one way while the electric sways the other, I mentally freak out for a second. Same with ladders.
Same here. One can't argue with the stability of a chunk of Earth.

Found some room in the budget. If I can get the LED top lights at the right price, this may be a possibility!

I've learned over the years that there's no reason to be afraid of heights. Depths, however, do command a certain amount of respect.

I've learned over the years that there's no reason to be afraid of heights. Depths, however, do command a certain amount of respect.
Agreed. It's not the falling I fear; it's the landing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that sudden stop at the end does it every time.
Just remember the momentum-impulse theorem: Force * Time = Mass * Velocity
Velocity increases as you fall further, and stay in one piece, the force needs to stay below a certain threshold. By that, the duration of impact has to grow, like landing on a big block of foam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back