Live Beatboxing

Denny586

I've been hired to do a local talent show and everything went well at auditions today except for one guy who is beatboxing. It's very muddy through our system, more than just the channel EQ could fix. Im wondering what the best fix for this is... Maybe a condenser mic and some distance between it and the performer?

Thoughts & past experiences appreciated, thanks in advance!

The mic and how close the mic is to the performer is very important. Its not something you can do with any distance. You could throw a graph on the guy and do some cuts/boosts and see if that helps. What kind of mic are you using?

What microphone are you using and how are they holding it? Have they performed in similar situation before and if so, what did they do there? Did you listen to the signal at different points in the signal path of the mixer and try to determine if the problem was in the signal coming into the mixer, got better or worse at some point in the path, was a result of the speaker system and room or some combination of those?

For most beatboxers the microphone they use and how they use it is part of their creative process. If they have never worked with a mic before then they may need to work on their personal microphone preference and their technique in order to get the sound they want. Also remember that if it is muddy sounding coming into the mixer then you can't 'unmuddy' it, at least not without also affecting it in other ways.

The mic and how close the mic is to the performer is very important. Its not something you can do with any distance. You could throw a graph on the guy and do some cuts/boosts and see if that helps. What kind of mic are you using?
I'm using a wireless SM58, the PGX4 series.. And it didn't sound all that good on the front end in my headphones.. Its already muddy, so I'm thinking that the only thing to change is the microphone itself.. Then again I guess it's possible that he isn't that talented :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back