Lobster dinner

Hi there! I'm new here, but I'm hoping to get some advice.

I am props master for a production of Ah Wilderness!. The problem I have is that a family of 8 sits down to a lobster dinner. I don't know how I'm going to do this. I was told by several sources to get real lobster shells and fill them with mashed potatoes. I attempted that, but the shells where just too gross and were not going to stay intact for a run. I'm thinking hollow plastic ones might do the trick, but would love some tips.

Has anyone done something similar before? Thanks.

Mashed potatoes (especially the "instant" kind) seem to be the goto solution for anytime food needs to be consumed onstage. One can mold/shape/sculpt, color with food coloring, them to resemble just about any foodstuff.

The first Google result for "lobster props" returns Barnard Ltd. - Products - Sea Creatures - LOBSTERS CRABS & OTHER SHELL FISH .
http://www.themedecor.com/image/Products/5279/photo
Looks more like a lobster than a prawn to me, but whatever.

See if there's a display company, restaurant, or seafood supply company in your area that might have props you could rent or borrow.

-----
A good Propmaster is an artful negotiator. Program mentions and comp tickets can be more valuable than money. But cash usually works too, as a last resort.

I think Derek Nailed it. We did "Ah Wilderness!" 2 seasons ago and we were able to find some pretty realistic plastic lobster tails. Sliced em down the top and applied a heat gun so they would sty open. Then we mixed instant Mashed Potatos < a little on the dry side > and stuff the tails they looked perfect !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back