Lockout Switch for ETC Smartlink Controller?

deli46

I have 4 ETC Smartlink Control boxes to control the house lights and i am looking for a way to "lock out" those boxes (gets really annoying when the house lights goes on in the middle of a play ) so the only control comes from the booth. Is there any way to do this?

The only way I have found to accomplish this with SmartLink is to program the priority on your Sensor racks so that whenever there is another protocol present (DMX, sACN, EDMX) it takes over at higher priority. That means that none of your SmartLink stations have control when the console is powered up, which may not be what you are looking for. There might be implications with things like emergency lighting and power failure depending on how your facility is configured, whether the console is on UPS, etc.

As this is a High School, having no control of the house lights from the house when the board is on would be a bad idea, especially during school hours when a study/lecture is taking place. Would implementing a "master switch" in the booth that will disconnect the power going to 4 of the 6 Smartlink panels? Yet, doing that would be complicated to have to do all the wiring.

I couldn't recommend playing with the power supply to the SmartLink stations. Sure it is possible to implement a switch. However, kludging the manufacturer's product is one of those situations where there is likely a very good reason why it works the way it does, and mucking with the design can void support, violate safety codes, or any number of considerations you and I have failed to consider.

ETC support should be able to suggest something specific to your installation since you might find the 6 stations are distributed on multiple loops. They may suggest replacing SmartLink with Paradigm to give better control. Have your facility supervisor contact them.

Another option might be to purchase locking plastic covers for the stations.
That way you could give keys to the people that need them and nobody else.

I'm not sure whether ETC makes on for the SmartLink stations but I can check that. Else wise I'm sure you can find a manufacturer that can custom make one or has one that will work

Edit: as mentioned before please make sure to have the appropriate people (this could be you im just not sure) check with an appropriate person regarding any modifications the the house light system for safety reasons when it comes to emergency lighting.

Last edited:
In a school auditorium I work in, we built a nice wooden frame with a cover hinged at the top. One must lift the cover to access the panic houselight station. It will not prevent some one from turning the lights on but does prefent accidental triggering.

The sliding locking cover for standard Unison stations is also compatible with SmartLink stations, and can easily be added to an existing installation: http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/7181L1004_Uni_Heritage_Locking_Cover_vA.pdf

It would also work to add a keyswitch that disconnects the SmartLink control wires. It's best to use a 2-pole switch to completely disconnect the stations from the dimmer rack. Of course, if the wire's already in the wall, then this may be the less practical option. If it's a high school, then a district electrician would likely be required to make the wiring changes (even though it's all low-voltage).

I just found out about our school has the Paradigm Unison system. So from there would I "lockout" each panel from the rack panel or using the web interface (Right?). I have gotten to the web interface (ETC Sensor + Connect) and what is the default password?

I just found out about our school has the Paradigm Unison system. So from there would I "lockout" each panel from the rack panel or using the web interface (Right?). I have gotten to the web interface (ETC Sensor + Connect) and what is the default password?

The Password won't do you any good in looking for doing what you are trying to do. There is no way to activate a lockout from the sensor web interface.

To get lockout functionality in your Paradigm stations, you will need to have a technician come to your site and program that functionality into the system. This functionality works best when you have a station in the booth from which to activate or deactivate the functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back