Longtime lurker steps into the light...

Colin

Hi there! It is waaay past time I introduced myself, seeing as I've benefited from the breadth and depth of information here for years now. There's no question ControlBooth is the most valuable single research tool (sorry, don't mean to call you all tools) for our industry and I am so very grateful to this entire community, and especially to all the regulars, whom I won't name for fear of leaving someone out. Aside from a learning resource, ControlBooth is just a great community (big thanks to some fantastic moderators, and to everyone else for barely needing to be moderated in the first place!) and that inviting atmosphere is really important to the mission.

I am a technical director, lighting designer and sound designer in my eleventh professional year in New England. I spent four of those years as house TD/LD/A1 (not, usually, at the same time) for a 900 seat multi-use rental/concert venue, bookended by two stints (ongoing) as faculty at my alma mater. Why did I leave a cushy academic job for four years you ask? I was working on an MFA in painting (the "fine art" variety not scenic) and it turns out that teaching, designing, building, and maintaining two theaters and a shop all at once isn't so cushy after all when you're working on a degree.

While I can never single-handedly return the favor bestowed on me by the whole ControlBooth collective, I will from now on try to give of myself whenever I visit the site and see something I can help with. I'll do so with the same kindness, generosity, and responsible attention to safety-in-art that has been ControlBooth's hallmark for so long.

See you out there.

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back