Looking for 12V white LED source

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
Hi gang,

In a nutshell, I'm looking for 12V white LED fixtures which would be mounted in a semi trailer belonging to our local high school. Beside the normal sources of Grainger, McMaster, etc., are there other sources you would recommend?

Thank you gang!

Sorry- something to illuminate the inside of a semi trailer. Offroad 12V DC lighting kits seem to have been the best match thus far, like this-

3030 lumen 12VDC.jpg

Rigid Industries D2 LED Light - Diffused

Last edited:
Truck-Lite, Grote, and others all make white LED back up lights. Those would surely be 12v. Maybe something like Harbor Freight or Northern Tool might have white LED 12v work lights.

A product intended for advertising signs that I've used on a few projects might be of interest:

US LED: Always The Right Choice!

They're intended to be inside a light box, so if you mount them directly to the trailer framing the exposed wiring might be a snagging problem. Then again, the improved clearance of not having a blocky fixture body might be a plus. Modules are often mounted with double-sided tape, so installation is a breeze. You could run a continuous strip the length of the trailer, or save some money by extending the wiring between clumps of modules.

They are bright, and have pretty wide spreads for coverage. The bumper-mounted truck lights are probably a lot more narrow beamed.

Hey there,
First post on CB, but is this for video, or just general illumination?
If this is GI, then you can do this very inexpensively. Check out something like... New Cool White 5M 16ft Waterproof 5050 SMD LED Strip 300 LEDs USA Seller | eBay
I have done a bajillion things with these strips as you can cut them to length and solder them into any configuration. More, they are inexpensive and wicked bright. You do want to make sure that you use the 5050 version (5050 is a SMD LED package). The 3528's are ok, but the 5050's are superior. They also come in warm white. This is all 12V so there is no conversion needed. I have used a strip in my kitchen for a few years now and they are still going strong. Another idea is that if they are too bright, many strips will run fine off of 9V as well.

My boy scout troop used dome lights that we got from camping world then bought LED bulbs to put in the dome lights from Superbrightleds.com to light our trailer and dinning fly.

View attachment 9765
Here is one of the dinning fly lights. The trailer lights are just mounted and hardwired to the interior roof.

Thanks Shadowmhs, I just purchased a single unit from Super Bright LEDs to check out prior to getting all required.

WL-27W-R60-LED-WORK-LIGHT-2.jpg

All comments and suggestions much appreciated!

I'm guessing you aren't going to have a marine store nearby, but if you could order from one online they will have a full selection of warm and cool white LED lights that run on 12v. Some available as IP67 for protection for everything along with all sorts of replacement lamps if you don't want a new fixture.

We have Doctor LED lights all over on my family's boat. It has a very crisp and clean cool white but the warm white has a more noticeable green shift than most florescent lights. Power usage cut dramatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back