Looking for some huge help...

dontch

I play in a band and our drummer plays to a click, but we're looking to get a little more involved with concerns to lights. nothing serious, we'd have our out lights.

But where do I start? We'd like to have lights trigger on and off in certain points of our songs depending on where in the click we are....

Any help?

Some of the DJ LED fixtures have sound modes that will change colors or effects with music. They aren't the greatest things in the world and can be a little wonky, but it's a start.

If you wanted to get really involved, and I'm not 100% how to do this, you can send your feed through midi that can trigger various lighting effects when certain sounds or notes are played.

Some of the DJ LED fixtures have sound modes that will change colors or effects with music. They aren't the greatest things in the world and can be a little wonky, but it's a start.

If you wanted to get really involved, and I'm not 100% how to do this, you can send your feed through midi that can trigger various lighting effects when certain sounds or notes are played.
Ya I'm looking for it to be a little more involved with the just certain lights triggering at certain points of a click track

Most of the DMX programmable hardware controllers and software programs offer midi access. You can have your click track trigger a midi command which will change your lights.

We’ve done this a little bit but the basic concept is to use a MIDI to fire off the lighting console. From there the cues are programmed with delays, intensity, effects and what not.
You’re not really “Running” anything off MIDI per se, instead the “GO” command from your MIDI simply fires off your track and lighting console at the same time. We use that here from time to time, but in reverse…the lighting board fires off the audio track.

Our chief engineer wrote up a White Paper on "MIDI Control of Stage Lights" that you might find useful. We do have a 'Sample App' called "MidiTrigger" that allows users to recall and playback specific portions of the 'Event List" using MIDI triggering. The short, 4 page manual is here: http://www.lightinmotionshowcontrol.com/Resources/MidiTrigger.pdf
You might also browse around our web site and look at the MIDI Note and MIDI Controller 'Sample Apps' that allow you to use MIDI to control the Submasters on our BlueLite X1 software, or look over the MIDI Mapping capabilites on our 'Live Panel'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back