Looking to buy a lightweight headset

Toffee

So I was looking into buying a headset for the past few months because I am tired of the ones that we all share at work and I was wondering if any of you had personal ones that you use and if so how do you like them? I am looking into buying a lightweight because I hate my entire ear being covered and they are just uncomfortable.

Telex PH-88 Single-Sided Headset with Flexible Dynamic Boom Mic

I was looking into buying a Telex PH-88 cause I know people who own them and love them. Thoughts?

These are the ones that we have at work that I am fine with but want to move away from if at all possible, they work great and are comfortable but I hate having my entire ear covered and it is too bulky for me.

Telex PH-1 Single-Sided Headset with Flexible Dynamic Boom Mic

I also saw the other threads created on this but I was wondering if anything new you like has come out recently or if opinions have changed.

Last edited:
We have the dual side version of the PH-88 (by the looks of it), and they work fine, before that we had some "Anchor" ones that look close to the PH-1 (and were Telex compatable).

I almost like the double-sided edition of the PH-88 better since it gives you the option of blocking out some extra ambient noise when required, but the headset is still light enough to put the second earphone off to the side/top comfortably (YMMV on head shape of course). I think you're on the right track.

PH-88 is the way to go. I have had mine for going on 9 years and its still going strong. There are other options out there, clearcom has some decent stuff as well as production intercom. The only drawback to the PH-88 is it does not work in loud enviorments. Its fine for dance/theatre/corporates but during most rock shows I get a full muff headset out.

PH-88 is the way to go. I have had mine for going on 9 years and its still going strong. There are other options out there, clearcom has some decent stuff as well as production intercom. The only drawback to the PH-88 is it does not work in loud enviorments. Its fine for dance/theatre/corporates but during most rock shows I get a full muff headset out.

My venue does mostly theatre, dance and corporate meetings and stuff so that is perfect. Most of my coworkers own them and love them.

I use the Plantronics H171N.

Before purchasing one of these, however, you need to make sure that you have a headset system that can utilize headsets with electret microphones. It's not out of the box compatible with Clearcom and other stage headset systems, so plan on spending a little time with a soldering iron if you buy one of these. Don't just lop of the connector on the headset, buy an extender cable and solder your XLR connector to that.

They're pretty durable and if you do a bit of shopping around, a lot cheaper than a PH-88. But the best feature, is that the H171N can be converted from headband style to an over the ear headset depending on which you're more comfortable with. I've been pretty happy with mine. It is, without question, the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.

I use the Plantronics H171N.

Before purchasing one of these, however, you need to make sure that you have a headset system that can utilize headsets with electret microphones. It's not out of the box compatible with Clearcom and other stage headset systems, so plan on spending a little time with a soldering iron if you buy one of these. Don't just lop of the connector on the headset, buy an extender cable and solder your XLR connector to that.

They're pretty durable and if you do a bit of shopping around, a lot cheaper than a PH-88. But the best feature, is that the H171N can be converted from headband style to an over the ear headset depending on which you're more comfortable with. I've been pretty happy with mine. It is, without question, the most comfortable headset I've ever worn.

Hmmmm, looks interesting thanks I will look more into the thought.

Unless you are looking for heaps of isolation, have a look at the Sennheizer HMD281 Pro - Sennheiser Worldwide - HMD 281 PRO Headset, film, TV applications, super cardioid microphone
I have used these on a number of occasions, they are very comfortable.

It's a full muff though and it reminds me of the ClearCom headsets that I didn't enjoy wearing. I also wouldn't classify it as a lightweight. lol

I really recommend the HD-281 Pro. So comfy, and in a few months of working in an audio repair shop, I haven't seen any of the hundreds we rent out come back with any electrical failure. When the muff and band start to wear out, the replacement parts are hella cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back