Looking to Upgrade our Aisle "Night" Lights

Nelson

I am looking to upgrade our aisle lights that are installed in the sides of our theater seats. Currently, we have what is basically a pilot light installed in a single gang electrical box mounted vertically in the side of the seats. They require a 120-volt candelabra base 7.5-watt lamp of not more than 2 inches overall length. The closest lamp that provides sufficient light is a 10S6 10 watt indicator lamp (I've never seen a 7.5 watt lamp that fits these units!). Lamp is covered by a black louvered steel cover.

There are two issues that I would like to address:
1. Lamps don't last long enough
2. The "beam pattern" of these fixtures is very spotty. They are bright enough in spots, but there are still vast swaths of aisle that are unlit.

I would consider LED replacement lamps to address the first issue, but I've never seen LED replacement lamps that are bright enough or fit in the fixture. A retrofit lamp would need to produce at least 70 lumen to be considered.

Preferably, however, I would rather replace the entire fixture. I've seen many units that will fit a single-gang box, but mount horizontally instead of vertically. Any ideas?

Alternatively, I could use 6S6 indicator lamps in 130 or 145 volt (to extend life) if I could redesign the fixture so that it emitted more light. Are there better covers available that emit more light? It doesn't help that the interior of the electrical box is black. Still, I don't know how much I could change without voiding the UL listing (assuming it is listed in the first place :rolleyes:) or compromising safety.

I know this topic has been covered before, but I didn't see any solutions that would work in my case. Hopefully someone out there has these same units and knows what to do with them! The auditorium was built around 2004, so its not like these are something old and archaic.

Here is a photo of the seats:
aisle.JPG

And a close-up of the fixture and cover:
light.JPG

I can try to get a better close-up of the fixture and housing if that would be helpful.

I have had good luck using GDS's Blues system in this type of situation. They are dimmable so if they are too bright you can always dim them down. I never get the complaint that they are too dim....

BluesSystem

I know it says Blue, but they come in other colors too....

Start Googling "Led Step Light". There are many many options out there in the world. All cost much more than replacing C7 or S6 lamps.

Remember that I need something that will mount inside a single gang vertical electrical box. All the LED step lights I've seen either mount horizontally or are bright on the surface. Replacement lamps also must be no more than 2 inches. Maybe I could squeeze in 2.1, but that is the absolute max. Night light bulbs at 2.13 will not fit.

I like DrPinto's idea about using a small mirror behind the lamp. If I could make that work, I might be able to use underdriven 6S6 lamps. I don't have to use LEDs, long-life incandescent will work too. I would like at least 3000 hours.

Maintenance suggested that we install occupancy sensors so that the lights are only used when the space is occupied. That would certainly extend lamp life. Thoughts on using occupancy sensors for aisle lights? Sure it would be way more expensive than just staying with the existing setup and buying lamps all the time, but we have special funding for building repairs such as electrical upgrades.

Edit: Just found these. Anyone ever used these before:
http://industrialleds.com/index.php..._id=21&zenid=271b2049b5bad6923435d04edc1cdd07

Last edited:
Installing occupancy sensors to control the aisle lighting is probably against code and definitely a life safety issue...

The Blues system stuff can install over the top of your box, on the existing wiring and there is a cowl that goes over it to direct the light downward...

Dim the incandescent lamps just a little and their life will be increased greatly. Reducing the RMS voltage applied by 5% will double the life. That's the idea behind 130 V, long life lamps.

One of the Cooper Lighting brands, I believe Fail-Safe, has LED lights that may fit your need; on the site they are listed for healthcare. We have a horizontal version from them. mounted on eight foot centers, but I know a vertical version exists. Here's the link: j-box mounted lights. Yep, looks like they mount to a standard box.

Last edited:
Thanks tjrobb, that's exactly what I was hoping to find! I'll talk with our supplier and see if they can send me one to try.

I will still look into the BluesSystem, but still would rather have a "plug in" solution. It looks like the Circadians would plop right in to our seats as-is, directly replacing our existing pilot lights.

It also looks like the covers are a much better design as well. 30 lumen should be fine with a better cover.

One of the Cooper Lighting brands, I believe Fail-Safe, has LED lights that may fit your need; on the site they are listed for healthcare. We have a horizontal version from them. mounted on eight foot centers, but I know a vertical version exists. Here's the link: j-box mounted lights. Yep, looks like they mount to a standard box.

Those lights look sweet. The only thing that scares me is when something is labeled "for healthcare use", the price goes through the roof.

Those lights look sweet. The only thing that scares me is when something is labeled "for healthcare use", the price goes through the roof.

Good point. Well, I'll still look into it and see how bad they are! At least we have a sinking fund that hopefully could help pay for these.

at nearly 2" deep the Cooper Circadian led may not fit into the seat box.

so you may need to add some sort of trim plate to get that depth

Last edited:
making a reflector that would fit within the box should not be to much trouble using aluminum roof flashing. Make a paper pattern to get fit right. and great care must be used in keeping any sharp edges away from any wires. keeping in mind that any problems that occur with that reflector may come back to haunt you.

My aisle lighting is very similar, the seats do not have the wooden shield. So i have a box less than 1 inch deep in the metal post. We have just used the 130v 6S6. The lamp is much closer to the louvers than yours.

Last edited:
I never thought about it, but the lamp really is quite a ways back from the louvers. Maybe I'll first try adding spacers (washers) behind the mounting screws of the pilot light to bring the lamp closer to the louvers.

Beacon Seat Light
This looks to be a great solution but at 12 volts you would need to have a few days of down time to complete the entire project all at once. Likely best to get an electrical contractor to do the install.

as it is low voltage you would need to keep all the 12 v wiring separate from any 120v wiring which is likely easier said than done.
That would be one reason to get a contractor to do the work

due to that this unit may not be practical to your application.

Last edited:
just my two cents worth here, Make sure whatever you install works with your installed emergency egress system and that it complies with your local building codes for Aisle illumination.

Actually, the wiring for the aisle lights is in its own conduit, so I easily could convert the system to low voltage. I will check out those lights as well, thanks!

The emergency egress system consists of a centralized battery backup that powers exit lights and selected house and work lights. Upon a power failure, the emergency lights come on automatically. Otherwise, house lights are controlled by the console. Aisle lights currently are not part of the emergency system. Still, thank you for your suggestion about checking codes, we certainly will do so! I almost hate to do it right now knowing that what we have might not doesn't meet code. The light output is so poor, you really don't want to try to find your way out without the house lights on!

I sent a question in to www.martekled.com and they responded that this question has come up before.

Thank you for your interest in our LED's.
We have had similar requests in the past
for identical applications.

The only solution some of our customer's have
incorporated is to change the socket from candelabra
screw to Double Contact Bayonet. We offer a 45 mm
DC Bayonet LED that will work in your application.

See Attached specification. You can purchase samples
of this LED on our website:
http://www.martekled.com/-strse-176/LED-Stacklite-15T7DC-40T8DC/Detail.bok
proxy.php

At 25 bucks a pop + socket it is a far cry from the cost of a 6s6. but as they have a 120v version you could do the project as time allows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back