Mixers/Consoles LS9-32 and Yamaha Studio Manager Issues

A lesson learned the hard way after myself, the Contractor and Allen & Heath spent hours tracking down why the iLive-144 work surface would intermittently lock up. The Contractor and I finally realized that the iLive-144 and the SSL AWS 900+ used for the recording system had the same default IP address. All the audio system was networked and everything would work fine until you turned on the SSL, at which point the iLive work surface would lock up due to the IP conflict that created.

We had this issue as well and eventually decided that the iLive was not the right console for us. Most other network devices (including Yamaha consoles) will let you know there's an IP conflict. The iLive just freezes! Unacceptable for a piece of gear that HAS to work. It takes entirely too long to boot the surface if/when this happens.

We had this issue as well and eventually decided that the iLive was not the right console for us. Most other network devices (including Yamaha consoles) will let you know there's an IP conflict. The iLive just freezes! Unacceptable for a piece of gear that HAS to work. It takes entirely too long to boot the surface if/when this happens.
FWIW, the SSL also gave no indication of a conflict. What surprised me the most was that A&H actually sent out new boards for the rack, then a replacement rack and eventually a tech before we finally figured out the actual problem. Their response when we finally did figured out that it was an IP conflict was that the consoles were rarely on a larger network where IP address conflicts were an issue. I can't see rejecting a product solely because of having to change or coordinate with an IP address, I have learned that in networked systems performing IP coordination should be a standard part of the process, especially if tying into a larger network.

That was actually the bigger issues in that particular case since the school, like others I have worked with, would would only allow wireless network access via the building or campus network and thus although we could create a dedicated subnet, it had to tie to a much larger network managed by their IT group. Not surprisingly, where remote access outside the room is not required unauthorized WAPs sometimes appear in the middle of the night, allowing the audio/tech subnet to be run as a standalone network with wireless access.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I finally got studio manager to work properly! What had happened was when we updated the board's firmware to 1.30, we never checked to see if the ls9 editor needed to be updated as well. So the other day, on a whim, I went and found the latest ls9 editor, updated ours and voila! Good as new!! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave their input, I really appreciate your help. Control booth is a great forum and I'll defiantly come here in the future for all my sound related problems!

Ah-hah! We were all trying to suss out the hardware end of things and forgot all about the softer side.

Glad you got it figured out, and even happier you're sticking around Control Booth!

Just to be sure, go back and double check your IP addresses. The last octet (group of three numbers) must be different from those in any other device. Keep a log of all your IP addresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back