Mackie Repair Shops In Midwest Area

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
I have an older Mackie SR24-4 VLZ Pro that the right channel on the outs doesn't work (i've confirmed it on all channels and all connections) I've taken the board apart and reseated the ribbon cables as well as checked for continuity on the ribbon cables. Basically, what I am looking for is a repair shop in the Midwest to look at quoting a price on repair (otherwise I might end up selling it as it has no use sitting in my dorm getting no usage.)

Thanks in advance,
Jordan Lahr

If your willing to ship, Accutrak out of Chicago is great and there is also Full Compass out of Wisconsin.

From Mackie's site the closest authorized would be Midwest Sound & Lighting out of Nebraska or EMI out of Minneapolis.

Is the signal showing on the LEDs? You stated that you checked the ribbon cables, which is good, did you also check the inserts on all channels......at least where your source is feeding in? Problems with the insert connections could cause this issue.

Since there doesn't seem to be a local shop near you, sending it in could cost you.....possibly more than you may feel is worth it. If that is the case, continuing on a DIY repair may be the best option and replacement parts can be ordered from most shops. I don't usually recommend a DIY on a console, but the Mackie's a reasonably simplistic structure if you are somewhat familiar with electronics.

* Disclaimer Note: Do not attempt to self-service without a clear electrical understanding.

If your willing to ship, Accutrak out of Chicago is great and there is also Full Compass out of Wisconsin.

From Mackie's site the closest authorized would be Midwest Sound & Lighting out of Nebraska or EMI out of Minneapolis.

Is the signal showing on the LEDs? You stated that you checked the ribbon cables, which is good, did you also check the inserts on all channels......at least where your source is feeding in? Problems with the insert connections could cause this issue.

Since there doesn't seem to be a local shop near you, sending it in could cost you.....possibly more than you may feel is worth it. If that is the case, continuing on a DIY repair may be the best option and replacement parts can be ordered from most shops. I don't usually recommend a DIY on a console, but the Mackie's a reasonably simplistic structure if you are somewhat familiar with electronics.

* Disclaimer Note: Do not attempt to self-service without a clear electrical understanding.

Considering Shipping it would cost close to about $40 for a round trip then that's a little spendy just for shipping. The LED's do show signal just not audio out of the connector. I haven't checked the inserts. Since its also a personal console and I'm in college I'm sure i could find a professor or grad student to supervise the repair of this console. I'm fairly familiar with electronics but it would be good to have someone more experienced watch or offer suggestions. I hesitate to do this on my own as there is a lot of knobs to pull of then the screws as well as not having much room to move the console about if i have to pull it apart again. (when i did it the first time there was a layered set of circuit boards inside one attached to the bottom and two on the top that had ribbon cables connecting.

The hardest part i have found with testing for continuity between the inserts and the board is how close the inserts are to the board makes it difficult to get a tester in there.

I find it hard to believe it would be the inserts since it doesn't matter what channel I'm connecting into, as well as the stereo ins still have the same issues. (not sure about the outs could hook it up to my computer to send audio through).

Unless it was on the mains inserts and not individual channels I don't think it would be those.

I will give full compass a call as well as EMI since I regularly travel north for a few days a month, and see if they can give me a generalized quote. It may not be worth it in which case look forward to seeing it on CB classifieds.

Just a thought, you may want to talk to Dakota Entertainment if you're not worried about warranties and such. They do a little bit of electronics repair, and I've sent a few things in to get fixed. If you can't get it fixed, let me know. I'm in Hartford and always looking for things like that.

I worked at Dakota entertainment for a while and this is out of the scope that the can handle. Sure give them dj gear or inflatables and your good to go but other than that I wouldn't trust them much more.

sent from my Droid incredible using tapatalk.

You are probably right about the inserts......and it may be one of the cards, closer to the sums.

If you decide to try DIY, take lots of pics with your droid so that it is easier to reassemble! ;)

If the meter shows audio for the dead output, it is not the bus insert. Between the point the meter takes its sample and the output connector, there is only one amplifer stage. It is most likely a blown chip, or an open coupling capacitor.

You might want to call Mackie. Maybe they would exchange or sell you that circuit module for you, or maybe you could ship just the module for repair. They shouldn't need to have the whole console to solve the problem you describe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back