Making a prop pistol

JoeyC

Some background: We did a show a few years back with guns where my predecessor attempted to cue gunfire from the booth and the director abhorred it because no matter how many times they practiced it was never close enough to be believable. Now were doing another show with guns and my director wanted the, "gun to trigger the sound itself". I suggested that we cue the sound with a wireless transmitter/receiver on the trigger; she agreed but now I have the task of building it.

I understand (I think) the basic principal. I set up a circuit connected to a wireless transmitter and have the trigger act as the switch. I have my laptop with a receiver listen for the signal and cue the sound.

My question is where does one get the parts to make something like this?
My shopping list so far is:

1. switch to turn the gun off/on
  2. battery case
  3. Something that is inconspicuous but will complete the circuit when the trigger is fired.
  4. The wireless transmitters/receivers
I've never taken on an electrical project like this before so I need some guidance. What are some resources I should look for?

You should look into wireless controlled contact closures. Very similar to a garage door opener remote. Needless to say if you google for them you should find plenty of options. I would then take the Electronics out of the transmitter and mount them in the prop.

Once you find one, you will also need an interface with your playback software. Typically people use MIDI contact closure interfaces and a USB MIDI interface. Most playback software like QLab or SFX can accept MIDI triggers (provided you have the correct license).

The other option is to hire a stage combat professional and use stage weapons. This option should only be considered if you can bring in the proper professionals who can provide proper equipment and training.

Thanks for the info but google hasn't given me much to work with concerning where to get a receiver that can convert to midi. So far I haven't seen anything that screams, "That's exactly what I'm looking for", probably because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

Where should I look for the interface?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back