Making faces glow under UV lights

Txtech

We're working on a production of 'Radium Girls' and we need to make the girls' lips and hands glows under a UV light but not be noticeable under normal lighting. We're looking to make streaks on their lips, because they're supposed to have been licking paint brushes that have been dipped in Radium. I'm working with a team on this and a few other effects, and our first thoughts were talcum powder, Vaseline/petroleum jelly, or tooth whiteners. And one guy told us that chlorophyll extract would glow red under the UV lights. Does anyone know whether any of those work or have an recommendations or ideas for how to pull this off? Any ideas are appreciated.

There are lots of places to buy invisible UV makeup. Kryolan may be the most popular. The big market is raves. A quick Google search for the highlighted phrase yields about 767,000 results.

You can mess around with all kinds of stuff but it's not going to hide as well in normal light or glow as bright under UV as the standard products Sk8rsdad just pointed out. No reason to reinvent the wheel on this one. It's not going to be cheap, but a little bit goes a long way in this department.

A much bigger concern is the equipment you are going to use to create the UV light. Creating enough UV light to really make glow in the dark stuff really "pop" in a large theater is more difficult than most people think. This problem is especially true if the effect has to be an instantaneous light change. There are lots of threads about blacklight/UV here, so do your research, plan ahead, and do some real world experimenting.

There's lots of things that will react under black light, I remember doing a ghostly dress in college that was pretty much just dunked in Woolite and not rinsed, but it was pretty slimey throughout the run. If you're wanting the effect on lips, then I'd stay away from any product that isn't intended to be eaten or mouthworn. Even Woolite on hands could become a problem, tracking soap all over the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back