Making props float?

My school is doing Mary Poppins for our Elementry theatre program and the highschool does the tech, props, and special effects. I was tasked to figure out how to make the paper fly out of the chimney when the father burns the help wanted poster. We have no floating mechinism except for lights and going off of our previous discussions, we are at full stage. Any suggestions to make the paper kinda flow out of the chimney?

I'm not certain of the exact effect, but I've previously used confetti for Beauty and the Beast.
We used a pool skimmer basket because the housing could be mounted into the structure and the basket was removable. Then we placed a HVAC duct boost fan to blow up.
These type of fans are usually variable speed so you can rehearse the proper amount of air needed and then trigger it on a dimmer set to 100%, or a relay, or a tech with an extension cord.

I'm not certain of the exact effect, but I've previously used confetti for Beauty and the Beast.
We used a pool skimmer basket because the housing could be mounted into the structure and the basket was removable. Then we placed a HVAC duct boost fan to blow up.
These type of fans are usually variable speed so you can rehearse the proper amount of air needed and then trigger it on a dimmer set to 100%, or a relay, or a tech with an extension cord.
That could work, but she want's it controlled and not have it fly all over

You can attach small pullies to the lighting rig to take the monofilament and bring it down to a position in the wings where a stagehand can pull it. You're only pulling pieces of paper, it doesn't need to rated for lifting a moving head.

At a pinch we've done this just using the surface of the bar as the "pulley" as with so little load there'll be little friction - then your problem is just keeping the filament in the right place until it's needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back