Mania SCX500

Edrick

Premium Member
I'm looking to get two Mania SCX500 for a wedding that I'll be doing (along with using them for future events). I was wondering what you guys though of these units? My biggest concern for the wedding is since there wont be a haze will it create a decent effect anyways or are the scanners really only good with atmospheric effects?

Or the http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=maniaefx500

Mania EFX500™

Last edited:
That fixture is what I call the "Acrobat Redux", it's the new model of the venerable Acrobat. It's one of the few fixtures that I'd say you actually can use without haze; the fixture put so many beams around the room that it actually washes the area with small gobo patterns. Great little effect.

Is that in response to the EFX or SCX? I couldn't edit the title but I'm comparing the two units.

Is that in response to the EFX or SCX? I couldn't edit the title but I'm comparing the two units.

EFX500 provides a wide spread of effect over a large area. SCX500 is a narrow scanner - won't look like much at all without haze, but looks pretty darn good with haze.

Chocies, chocies. I'm tempted to throw up a few par cans with gel and call it a day for the wedding. It's a very low budget gig (video and music) for under $1,000. But I can't stand not having a wow factor or nice factor to my work. The big question for me is how often will I use them after this event. It'd be a nice item to have for this wedding and a just incase. But if I'm going for the SCX500 I might as well get two. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Chocies, chocies. I'm tempted to throw up a few par cans with gel and call it a day for the wedding. It's a very low budget gig (video and music) for under $1,000. But I can't stand not having a wow factor or nice factor to my work. The big question for me is how often will I use them after this event. It'd be a nice item to have for this wedding and a just incase. But if I'm going for the SCX500 I might as well get two. I suppose we'll see what happens.

American DJ Homepage

ADJ Quality isn't the greatest, but I recently saw the revo at an event and it gives off a really great spread and looks really cool. (At this event they pointed it at the far wall so you could look into the lens, it has this really cool scanning/spinning look to it.

That's not a bad price and what's nice is it has a good coverage from the looks of the demo video. The question now is how does it perform in an open space without atmosphere.

That's not a bad price and what's nice is it has a good coverage from the looks of the demo video. The question now is how does it perform in an open space without atmosphere.

The event I was at had no atmosphere, and it looked pretty good. The way they directed it at the back wall made it quite visible all around. For coverage, from about 25-30 feet away, it was hitting a wall with maybe a 50 foot spread across. More than enough coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back