The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Martin 918 lamp housing...wierd

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by visigoth, Jul 29, 2008.

1. visigoth

visigoth Member

I have a Martin 918 purchased new about 7 years ago. The problem is I power it up but the lamp does not strike. What I end up doing is unscrewing the lamp housing pulling it out and after a little manipulation it strikes on. If I did not do this, it spits out lamp error. I have other intelligents on the chain, they work fine. any thoughts?

2. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Sounds like a misaligned safety switch.

3. HighWattageKid92

HighWattageKid92 Member

Its probably something to do with that unit as far as how the light picks up whether or not the bulb is in. Its definetly something faulty. Ive seen this before I just cant remember what, sorry.

4. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

That's exactly what it sounds like...

5. visigoth

visigoth Member

So if thats the problem, whats the solution, new lamp housing? or is it not that simple

6. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Probably just a matter or realigning the offending switch. Still, get someone who is qualified to work on the fixture to do it. Those safety switches are there for a reason! You don't want to end up with eye damage from UV or direct exposure to a pressurized operating bulb!

Or exposure to a high voltage ignition pulse! (think 10 to 20 kv !)

visigoth likes this.
  7. TimMiller

TimMiller Well-Known Member

If you happen to live in the houston, tx area let me know. I have a pile of 918 parts. I bet the lamp socket has gone bad. Remove the lamp socket from the plate, there is orange silicone glued on there. When you remove it, give the wires a little tug If one pops off its definately bad. There have been times i have pulled them off and as soon as lift up the socket a wire pops off. It is getting about time for them to fail. The heat breaks down the insulation of the wires and the glue inside of the socket. I will try to post pics of a new socket and a well used socket in the am.

visigoth likes this.