Automated Fixtures Martin PAL 1200

kicknargel

I'm looking to buy a couple used movers (some kind of spot/profile unit, preferably 575w or above, preferably moving mirror) for a smallish dinner theatre. I'm looking at some Martin PAL 1200s. I know they're bright, take a lot of juice, and are huge and heavy. Other than that the feature list looks pretty good.

Anyway have experience with these? The price seems a little too good to be true--should I run away screaming?

Nicholas Kargel
You Want What? Productions INC
scenic design and construction in Denver, CO

www.youwantwhatproductions.com

By and large, the Martin brand is very good. I would give the name a lot of weight if I were to buy a moving light. However, I've never seen, much less used, the PAL 1200. I haven't heard too many good things about it. From what I understand, the big selling point was the framing shutters, but I could have this model confused with another. From what I have read (on Light Network and other such sites) it was problematic.

Also, it's an antique. Depending on the price and your ability to deal with getting parts and make repairs it may be a good deal. Or it may be the biggest headache you've ever had.

I worked for a shop that had a bunch of Mac 550. Nothing but problems every time they went out. Yet another shop had the exact same fixtures, with nearly identical manufacturing dates and they NEVER had problems with their inventory.

Bottom line is, buying an older, out of production fixture is a crap shoot. Tread carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back