Automated Fixtures Martin Viper Lamp Flicker

R.Steck

I have been dealing with Martin Mac Viper Profile and Performances on a regular basis now for about a year. Every once in a while I get a couple that have a slight flicker to the output. I couldn't find an answer from searching the internet so I'm trying here to find a reason what could the issue be.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Hi R. Steck,

What you describe is called "arc-jumping" and usually is attributed to the arc moving about from one location on the electrode tip to another. It can very very hard to identify the cause (as a lot of factors can oddly influence it such as cooling, the waveform of the ballast, the angle of the lamp, an interplay of all three, etc.), so as much details as we can get, the better chance of helping you identify why it is happening and help solve for it. Also- please make sure you always have the latest Firmware update installed from the Fixture manufacturer. Fixture OEMs are constantly tweaking the fixtures to improve performance so this could help as well potentially. http://www.martin.com/en-US/Support/Search-result-product-documents
The latest firmware is version for most Viper models is 2.2.0

So far we have very few reported cases of flicker/arc-jumping compared to the tens of thousands of lamps sold. However, I know that when it is you having the issue, knowing that it's uncommon and rare doesn't help much or lessen your frustration.

If you can, please email me specifics on when you are seeing this. (lamp life, operation mode (open white? color filter?), fixture mounting position (floor mount vs. pipe/truss hung), Angle at the time of occurrence.
[email protected]

Cheers,

Mark

I have also had issues with Viper Performance units flickering. I had a lengthy email about causes and its exactly what Mark said. A solution that has worked for me is since my units sit on a balcony rail, they are sitting at a 90deg angle for most of their life. I have cued into my show so the fixtures will point 50/50 whenever possible without causing extra noise or distraction.
Mark, I will shoot you an email as well with my specifics when I finish this grueling 14 hour flight.

I have had this issue with about a third of the Mac Vipers and Mac IIIs I have used in the last year. Changing the lamp doesn't work. The shop blames it on a bad batch of lamps. It's really annoying. I feel your pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back