Meteor Movers?

Does anybody have any experience with Meteor's moving lights, for example the ProMover line? I was just looking around, and found out that they make more than just the Elipscans, and was wanting to see if their other stuff was just as sturdy.
Thanks!

....You think the ellipscan is sturdy?....
Meteor is a DJ company. The elipscan is kind of a fluke that got picked up by theatre people. It was not make for us. It was made for clubs to hang on the front of an old ERS and it would pan and tilt to the sound of the music while flashing the light. Alll of the rest of their stuff is made for the DJ/Club market. Don't bring it into a theatre, its not meant for it. The ellipscan has a hard enough time going to the same place on the stage twice, I don't even want to think what a unit with 540 degrees of pan could do to get lost.

Last edited:
I don't even want to think what a unit with 540 degrees of pan could do to get lost.

Your assessment is probably true as to Meteor quality (I've never used them) but most moving heads have 540 pan.

Thanks! As for the use of elipscans in theater, I have found them extremely useful, because I can have fewer lights on the electrics because i have a limited number of S4's... so as for that, im my experience, they do the job...
I was just wondering about their other products.. not necessarily for theater purposes, because i'm doing a little DJing on the side, and I came to controlbooth because I know there are legit professionals here that know what to expect out of equipment, and whether something is worth the time of day... Thanks anyway!!

The ellipscan has a hard enough time going to the same place on the stage twice, I don't even want to think what a unit with 540 degrees of pan could do to get lost.

Why do you say that the Elipscan will get lost and not hit the same place on the stage twice?

Some of their stuff is made in the US, and they can exert a fair amount of quality control over it, but the movers are made in china by Apollo (no relation to the gel/gobo company), and reliability can be an issue. I do know of a couple instances when a model or a shipment or a unit was discovered to be bad, and they refunded or exchanged as needed to make things right. They're worth considering if you want some low-cost units to get your feet wet with, but I wouldn't try to do a serious show with them, they're not intended for that part of the market.

We've got some Promover 250's at a local ice rink, they're barely adequate for the space, but the budget was more important than the effect. They've been ok so far for reliability, but the extra throw distance magnifies their accuracy shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back