Meteor UFO 12 Question

jflint

Our company just purchased a building that used to be a night club. It has a Meteor UFO 12 mounted on the ceiling, and we are trying to decide if it is something worth trying to keep and use, or if we should try to sell it, or if it is just busted and we should junk it.

It's mounted about 20 feet off the floor and weighs about 130 lbs, so I would rather not have to move it.

Questions: Does it have any sort of controller, or is it just on/off and runs an automated sequence?

I see 4 knobs or something sticking out of the side of the box. Are those control knobs, or just fuses?

I think if you try to sell it, you could really get a good deal out of it since you basically landed on it for free. Guys are always looking for cool stuff like this to put in their man cave, but it doesn't seem to have any practical purpose that would be useful in a theatrical setting.

Thats my favorite type of light and I still don't have one.

Would that building happen to be an old Textile Mill in Allentown, PA called "The Freightyard"? I know that building had one. Actually it had the Mercury UFO as well.

Does it work? How much do you want for it? (PM me)

I intend to get the Meteor UFO-12 or an CP Astrodisco 3 one of these days but I'm not working now so I'm not exactly in a hurry. So far *knock on wood* Meteor still makes these brand new and one can still get them fixed or get parts for them. Not true for the original Clay Paky version unfortunatly. My heart will be broken if Meteor stops making these lovelys.

Questions: Does it have any sort of controller, or is it just on/off and runs an automated sequence?

I see 4 knobs or something sticking out of the side of the box. Are those control knobs, or just fuses?

It doesn't have a controler, just 4 electrical circuts. Three are for the motors and the 4th for the lamp. There were two versions of the UFO-12. One lamp is 120v at around 500w and the other is a 12v EVD lamp at 400w with a higher color temp. The 120v lamp version is better IMOP because it can be hooked up to a dimmer for added effect. The knobs that you spoted are fuses. There were versions of this light that had dedicated controlers such as the Coemar Colibri which is another one I'd like to "pick" someday.

Last edited:
You'd be better off with the Accu UFO Pro from American DJ.

proxy.php

Rotating moving head with 32 sharp beams projecting from 12 lenses
• 32x 1-Watt LEDs: 8x Red, 8x Green, 8x Blue and 8x White
• DMX-512 protocol
• RDMX (Remote DMX)
• 2 DMX Channel Modes: 8 or 10 Channels
Strobe effect: up to 25 flashes per second
• Built-in programs and color macros
• Pan: 360 degrees (8-bit) or 540 degrees (16-bit)
• Tilt: 265 degrees (8-bit or 16-bit)
• 4-button LED Digital Display for easy navigation through DMX Menu
• Control Features: Pan/tilt speed and rotation; LED speed; Strobe effect; Pulse effect; Colors
• 1.8 degree Stepper motors with microstepping
• Linkable via 3-pin XLR cable
• Mounting plate for hanging
• Flicker free
• Long life LED: 50,000 hour life
Power Consumption: 100W max
• Multi-voltage: 100W~240V, 50/60Hz
• Dimensions (LxWxH): 16.5”x14”x18.5” / 425x353x467 mm
• Weight: 30 lbs. / 13.5 kg.

MAP $ 999.99

You'd be better off with the Accu UFO Pro from American DJ.

Nay, I'm quite attached to the oldschool versions. The effect is better and the light looks cool even when its off (it looks like a military weapon). If I had to buy a brand new UFO-12 its only a few hundred more then the plastic American DJ copy and it would be worth it. I hoping someone eventually sells a used one (or an Astro Disco 3) on EBAY at a fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back