MIDI board as playback

We run the Road Hog 4's, but we recently bought the Elation Midicon with Emulation Pro Software.. got to thinking? Can the Elation Midicon be used as a playback wing for the Hog?

If hog take midi notes or cc input, and I have seen people use midi controllers with hog 3, so...yes.

At least some of the hardware controls will work(faders and buttons) but I'm not sure about the encoders ability to be mapped to encoders in hog.

You should be able to set it up as a playback wing, but I cannot tell you the specifics for hog. MA on the other hand, you can assign and hard key or fader to a midi note. Encoders cannot be controlled by midi, this may be different in hog though.

To clarify, I have never actually used midi on a hog, but I believe it is possible having seen people with midi pads alongside a hog, however I did not ask about the configuration.
I cannot image High end is 17 years behind the competition.

I'm not sure about Hog, but I know that MA1 requires some MIDI translation from certain MIDI devices. For instance, to use a Behringer BCF2000 fader controller with MA, I run the MIDI from the BCF through a program called Bome's Midi Translator which is simply fantastic. It allows you to convert just about any type of MIDI command to anything. You can have a MIDI note press generate a keypress on your computer, for instance. You can also convert MIDI CC messages to Note + Velocity, which is what I use for the BCF. You can read all about a similar setup in my friend @Hacker's post here: http://www.controlbooth.com/threads...trol-solutions-executor-faders-buttons.25317/. He didn't have Bome's but Bome's does the job of all of the various programs that he used, and does it much more elegantly. Problem is, it costs money.

The one issue here is if you're running a hardware console, I'm not sure if you'd be able to plug the MIDIcon right in and use it with the Hog. It might require MIDI translation to get the MIDI info from the MIDIcon to work with the Hog. You could easily do this with a computer running Bome's and a hardware MIDI output box to patch the MIDI out from Bome's.

Yeah, MA only uses midi notes. Not sure about hog. Most faders send CC. I use a midi to artnet program, and just set it up on MA as a DMX remote. It work slick for OnPC, but might be more of a hassle with a real desk.

Bone might give you a bit more flexibility, though I have not played around with it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back