The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

MIDI control

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Ampacity, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Ampacity

Ampacity Member

My console (Strand 200 series) allows for a MIDI input to trigger cues and effects. I've used the audio input which of course is based on frequency but I'm wondering should I bother to purchase a din cable for MIDI. Is it that cool and if so how easy is it to set up? Thanks Tom

2. DMXtools

DMXtools Active Member

If a lot of your music comes from synths and sequencers, the MIDI input on your board lets you choreograph the lights as an extension of the music. That can be really cool. However, if lights are all you're using the sequencer for, it's hard to keep the lights and music synchronized.

John

3. Inaki2

Inaki2 Active Member

I never used MIDI to sync a show that way. I only used it to trigger SMPTE messages (SMPTE to PC, then MIDI to console). To play with lights and music, there's nothing like a (qualified) human being.

4. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

It should make it possible to perfectly sync special fx, for example syncing a thunder sound effect with a lightning flash cue.

5. Inaki2

Inaki2 Active Member

True, but that would require the special FX to have MIDI information on it. That means it needs to be fired on a PC or sequencer.

6. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member

True, true.