Mini Gobo

tdeater

We have a rental show coming in, and they dropped off their logo gobo's to our main office today. What office handed me are these little 1/2" or so across steel gobos that they claim places have used many times without a problem. I have no clue at all what to do with these. All I really have are source 4's avalible. Can anyone tell me what they are, and what you would normally use for them? Can they somehow be adapted to a source 4 without getting too hot? Thanks!

proxy.php

Looks like an E sized gobo. Used frequently in moving lights. You could probably put together an adapter with an aluminum pie plate and blac-tac to get them in a S4.

-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like an E sized gobo. Used frequently in moving lights. You could probably put together an adapter with an aluminum pie plate and blac-tac to get them in a S4.

-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E sized are too large I think. These work out to about 13mm across.

I am going to try and make an adapter for them. :) That's my next step, since I just found out that they are for a show on Monday....

You will have to make an adapter for it. I would recommend aluminum. I would get a thin piece of aluminum and cut it so it fits in your source 4. Then cut a hole just big enough for the logo on the gobo to fit. cut the hole a little smaller than the gobo itself. Then use electrical tape to secure it to the the adapter. It wont look amazing with such a small gobo but it will do the trick.

xander is right I guess. It depends on how long you will be running it though. Aluminum tape might work better but I have used electrical tape and it has worked fine with no problems. It didn't melt or anything.

Two points
1 try muffler tape. It is designed to handle high temps
2 be aware that your image will be really REALLY small

xander is right I guess. It depends on how long you will be running it though. Aluminum tape might work better but I have used electrical tape and it has worked fine with no problems. It didn't melt or anything.

3M brand Electrical Tape (the most common variety) has a melting point of only 80° Celsius (178° Fahrenheit). There are other higher temp types of electrical tape, but I'm general, I would rather recommend something that handles higher temps across the board, like as @JChenault mentioned, muffler tape.

Sent from my Moto X

Thanks for the ideas. We ended up making an adapter out of some metal plate that we have around for making gobos. It works, but the image is really small. Should get me trough this event though. Still kinda wondering though what they might of been made for. They came to us in a Rosco package, but no other makings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back