Chauvet IP 3-Pin Adapters?

LKH

Making my first post on here because I feel like I’m going crazy. I’m MEing a show and the LD accidentally ordered COLORado 1 Quad IPs. The data connectors on these are IP rated and have a seal, but also a ridge preventing you from using normal 3-pin. The rental company didn’t send any adapters, and I cannot find any online that fit these specific connectors. (Well, I can find one that might fit, but only in one direction.)
IMG_0354.jpeg

Has anyone else used these, how am I supposed to connect to my DMX splitter if they aren’t compatible with normal 3-pin?? Should I just be pushing the connections harder? I don’t want to take any cables apart and make my own adapters because it’s all rental equipment.

Chauvet (and other manufacturers who sell these types of fixtures) offers various lengths of IP interconnect cable for power and data as well as adapters from standard power and data connections into and out of the IP variants. Most of the time you won't just find them listed for sale though- usually they're ordered through a dealer by specifically requesting a quote (they'll have the part numbers). That's for future information. Like @avkid said the rental house should have provided the requisite adapters for power and data. It's standard to provide them whether requested or not because most clients aren't going to have them and likely don't even know they'll need them. If you got these in a road case it's also possible they were supposed to be in there and didn't make it back in on the last job. Whenever you're not sure about rented equipment your first call should ALWAYS be to the shop; they'll know how to handle it. Also why it's a good idea if you know they aren't open on a weekend to check the rental package for all necessary bits in time to get anything you might need from them before they close for the weekend. I've boned myself at least once not doing that, or forgetting it might be a long weekend due to a holiday.

Having managed a regional audio/LX shop... if we'd forgotten something critical you ordered I'd personally drive it to you if necessary. If you didn't order it, how much you spend to get it is up to you.

It's been a week so I'm guessing you've gotten through this. What did you end up doing?

Having managed a regional audio/LX shop... if we'd forgotten something critical you ordered I'd personally drive it to you if necessary. If you didn't order it, how much you spend to get it is up to you.

It's been a week so I'm guessing you've gotten through this. What did you end up doing?
100% Agree in the general sense, but In this case, if the rental shop didn't assume I needed a real way to connect data to a BS connection choicd by Chauvet, it would become a rental source of last resort for me in the future.

100% Agree in the general sense, but In this case, if the rental shop didn't assume I needed a real way to connect data to a BS connection choicd by Chauvet, it would become a rental source of last resort for me in the future.
And on the flip side, I can only send the shop a pick list of what was ordered (or what comes automatically with a specific item, like PowerCon or TruOne cable). The account rep should inquire if accessories are needed, but ultimately we can't read minds if nobody says "hey, we need a dozen XYZ..."

And on the flip side, I can only send the shop a pick list of what was ordered (or what comes automatically with a specific item, like PowerCon or TruOne cable). The account rep should inquire if accessories are needed, but ultimately we can't read minds if nobody says "hey, we need a dozen XYZ..."
I would say that these Chauvet IP DMX to Normal DMX adapters fall under things that should come automatically with a specific item... much like a powercon or true1 power tail, the light is more or less useless without the adapter.

(I do in fact work for a rental house that has these lights, and the adapters stay permanently attached to the lights. IP jumpers are specified separately, but the light comes with everything necessary to plug into standard edison power and standard 5-pin dmx)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back