Modeling supplies

lipinski

So as a Freshman in a scene design program I'm going to have to build a lot of models without a lot of income. Does anyone have a good order supplier for matte board, foam core, gesso, blades, ext. If anyone has any favorite tips for cheap supplies, or favorite modeling supplies. I'd really appreciated.

My professor really liked to use Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials
as for other supplies, you should visit local art stores and see if they have student discounts. (some in college towns may not, but you can try neighboring towns to see if they do...)

And remember to look around and see what kind of stuff exists that you can make into materials (like... clam shell packaging or other "trash" items). Get Inventive and remember that just because you build it one way in a model, doesn't mean that that's how it would actually get built.

You should see if any of your class mates want to go in with you on supplies, great way to make new friends and save money all at the same time.

I'd second blicks. My student union book store always stocked what we needed at reasonable prices. As mentioned, depending on what type of city you're in, some local art stores may have cheap option too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Find a framing shop and ask if you can have any odd pieces of mat board. Buy a big box of blades because you are going to need them. (And do me a favor - always wrap your old blades securely with tape before you toss them in the garbage. I saw a custodian get a massive slice out of his hand because someone threw a raw blade in the garbage).

Look for materials that can be recycled (drinking straws, styrofoam cups, packing foam, bubble wrap). Check your local Goodwill, Army Surplus, Salvation Army, quilt stores, fabric stores, scrapbooking stores or thrift stores. Check out American Science and Surplus American Science & Surplus : Items Just Off the Truck. Look at the clearance shelves at Hobby Lobby, and Michaels. Look for possibilities in everything!

Dick Blick is great but they are expensive. Hang out with the art kids and collect their scraps. The business school can also be a good source of foam core.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I have also found that foam-core can be found at some dollar stores (sometimes 2/$1). While it may not be the same quality as the name brands, it works for the budget minded. I wouldn't recommend buying the razor blades from them as they will do more tearing than cutting in my experience.

I would say that Blick is actually not that expensive, especially when one factors in quality of product with the discount one gets from being a student; Utrecht is more expensive and if you go into their stores you usually receive horrendous service. Not always, but often.

However, do you need that quality of product for a freshman level course? Probably not. Foam core and matte board perform similarly, although really really cheap matte board may more easily warp when painted especially if you don't paint both sides, but it is an excellent idea, as ruinexplorer stated, to buy decent blades, square and cutting straight edge. Good blades will keep things neat and you from overexerting, a decent square will prevent lots of re-does and a straight edge designed for cutting will help keep corners square.

Hmmmm.... a little weak on this one. I DATED a model once, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Let's see, 6" spike heels, lots of hairspray, Concealer and blusher............Oh! Wait! ??Not that kind of model????? Neeveer Mind! :grin:

I agree with the suggestion of checking out frame shops for odd bits of may board. You can also scour thrift stores for cheap old frames that have mat board in them. We have a place around here called the Creative Scrap Exchange which collects donated scrap material and resells it for dirt cheap. New York City has a similar place called Materials for the Arts. Look in your area to see if a similar place exists.

When I was in school everyone in my class threw in $ and we ordered supplies in bulk (foamcore, matteboard, balsa...). Works out great when everyone is using the same supplies for the same project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back