Modular audience seating ideas

May be creating a new 100-seat theater space and am considering a modular approach for flexibility. Looking at different types/brands of folding/collapsible audience risers. Advice? Experience?

Stack of 3' wide staging decks, tons of different legs, and go nuts. Call Wenger, they specialize in this type of thing. It all depends on how much work you want to put in deploying the system. If you have the time/labor, you can do whatever you want. If you want something that sets up quick your going to lose flexibility. Storage also needs to be a major consideration.

Quick consideration with a modular space -- depending on fire codes in your area you may need to pull a permit for each configuration of your seating.

In my experience, setting up,the risers and hand rails , and sears takes a lot of effort, does not look good, and feels creaky and temporary.

The only approach I have seen is that avoids these pitfalls is what the the Oregon Shakespeare Festival does in their black,box space.

They designed a small number of staging layouts ( thrust, arena, and stadium ) and built large seating sections that can be quickly set up. avoids these pitfalls sacrifices complete flexibility for ease of set up and audience comfort.

I agree with above comments though I think it can be done well with individual chairs and platforms and many parts. Chairs that gang and aisle lights are two more too often overlooked requirements along with hand rails. I lean toward Stage right for simplicity and easier assembly but Wenger should be considered. FWIW a package of rsers and parts for say 125 seats - some of those on the flat floor - is over $50,000. Add 125 chairs at $150 to 200 - not inexpensive. Personally I think this concept tops out around 125 to 150 seats max before its too much labor to rearrange, and go for the modular chunks of seating.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back