CB Mods

Attachments

• IMG_8879.jpeg
    IMG_8879.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8880.jpeg
    IMG_8880.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 50
Are you sure that's not something @ship worked on yesterday?

Congrats on finding the most obscure BM logo everl Zoom in and it gets fuzzier. Just for reference...
proxy.php

Attachments

• IMG_8878.jpeg
    IMG_8878.jpeg
    653.4 KB · Views: 33
Very interesting! Photo doesn't really relay size of fixture well other than that latest photo with the rear access knob. Old fixture, I think 1Kw Fresnel or less in wattage??? A photo of it's maximum lamp wattage / serial number name plate would be good.

I see no notes of a globular lamp invented for a G-22 (22mm between pin centers) type of socket but lots of even up to 2Kw lamps with tubular lamps for medium bi-pin. Problem is my notes do not note a incandececnt lamp available in 1-2Kw in an incandescent version at all - all halogen lamps in that wattage range. Granted such a lamp is probably long discontinued or the reason for the adaptor? My notes are mostly back to about 1976 on lamps as supplemented by earlier book lamp guides at best, (Quite a few books in supplement,) but not complete. The globe lamp, I will have initially assumed for the fixture, but see no indication of any globuar incandescent lamp associated with a G-22 lamp socket. Reason I was looking into a globular lamp was I do have in inventory a Mole Richardson #2046 8” Fresnel on stand c. 1936’s; 2Kw G48/18 ANSI type DVF G-38 Mog. Bi-post Lamp. If you give the serial number and model number to B&M, like Mole they might be able to give you date of manufacturer or in my case above approximate date. They might also be able to give more info on the adaptor which might have not serial number but at least part number.

The G-22 base is from all I have seen an invention of the 1950's. Slight War in the 40's preventing innovation from the 30's in technology in catching up in the 50's. The G-22 is 7/8" between pins and IEC #7004-75, ANSI #C81.61-1990sheet 1-466-1 if further reserch into their date wants to be researched. Would be really interesting to see the details of the studio grade lamp socket for the B&M fixture. I have no notes of the era I remember of a G-22 based Fresnel - not that I studied studio gear much. The G-22 based Leko's in theater fixtures kind of sucked! They were a bad lamp base design and probably why in the 60's the origional socket type of Medium Pre-Focus... (P-28s) was back to as my theory.

This is a very strange adaptor given it's seemingly long center pin and un-insulated shell given most fixtures were not polorized at this point.... Better polorization (grounding) for studio fixtures (and hot to center prong) might be indicated was more agressive for them back than, than on stage fixtures.... but than of course I have some c.1948 Leko's where the bench focus adjustment was right next to live conductors in doing so. Could have been just as dangerous back than in ground to center pin and hot to shell for the studio also. Probably given the origional lamp socket base wasn't polorized either, more on the dangerous side.

I was laid up with COVID the past few days but I was able to get out to the garage today to get some pics of all the labels on the unit. I’m rewiring this for a friend who’s an English teacher/drama club counselor at a local high school. She was gifted it by her predecessor and would like it to be functional for her classroom. I’m thinking of putting in a standard E27 socket so she can use a Wi-Fi bulb and have some fun with it.

Attachments

• IMG_8897.jpeg
    IMG_8897.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8898.jpeg
    IMG_8898.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8899.jpeg
    IMG_8899.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8901.jpeg
    IMG_8901.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 34
The socket in your picture 9801 is a Medium BiPost., as is the male end of the adapter in the first post. We used to have them is most of the Kliegl 6" lekos, both 500W & 750W. Wasn't aware that B&M used this base in their kegs too. The leko lamps were all burn BU, while the Fresnels PCs, etc., used were burn BDTH lamps.. If I could find my GE 'Stage & Studio' lamp catalog I could tell you what lamps are available for the keg. BiPIN is a different animal.

E-26 I would hope in the US as typo. I have modified some 6" Grand stage Fresnels to the Philips Hue system. Not perfect, but not bad in output. Amazed by the Keg Lite sticker.

Jon I believe you sent most catalogues to me to PDF to this website in done - somewhere on the website. Kliegl adaptor for the Leko's? Never knew that before. Was also confused by Klegl having a G-22 fixture.... Looked at my inventory... Oh' Yea, I have one. A #1365E from a 1950 Kliegl catalogue.

Incandescent/halogen lamps to fit the original fixture moot at this point. E-27/26 lamp socket retrofit for say a Philips Hue or other RGB prop light project is on. Somewhat a shame in a historic fixture example, but a survivor none the less on display none the less.

It's G-22 but need to know its full description and lamp it used. Sorry... for me Covid was light, hope the same. Or with adaptor, the lamp it used and more info about the adaptor. If of help for hope, the G-22, P-28s and E-26 lamps are often by fluke or design very similar most often. As with by fluke or design lamp socket extenders in often working for lots of applications. Strange.

Otherwise there is the basic... take the LCL of a A-19 lamp, and or measure it in the lamp socket desired to filament height. Kind of have to know the origional LCL of the designed lamp, but looking at the reflector compared to how high to jack up the lamp on a Fresnel you can get close. Spacer blocks, box tubin or plates to jack up the lamp.

Goal is to do the "upgrade" without destroying the ability to return the fixture to its historical origionality. New holes to mount the plate or spacers as needed. That and have fun in learning and experimentating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back