More useful: top light or back light?

You guys have been great with questions, just wanted to say thanks - Controlbooth is a great resource!

I understand that each has it's place, but if you had to choose for a musical, would you say top light or back light would be more useful? How often do you find yourself using both, and what types of scenes would one be more useful than the other?

Backlight. If there is any choreography at all you will need it to push people out of the scenery. Top light is useful as well, but tends to be used more for isolation then anything.

If I have adequate side light - I tend to make my back/down lights more of a back light. If I don't have adequate side light, I would probably make them more of a down light.

If I want to use my back/down lights for extra color toning, I would tend to use it as more down than back.

If I need an especially oppressive feel I would tend towards more down ( or even very steep front) with my back/down lights.

Unless you have some severe instrument/power restrictions, its probably best to hang systems of both, maybe both with scrollers to reduce instruments? However, I tend to hang a lot of lights, and might end up having been able to avoid hanging a good number of them, but would rather have the options when the sets are up and the gear is in the air.

If I couldn't have both I'd take backlight. If I desperately needed top I'd probably turn my high sides into extremely high sides before I dumped backlight.

Backlight. If there is any choreography at all you will need it to push people out of the scenery. Top light is useful as well, but tends to be used more for isolation then anything.

And now we come to the true answer of the situation...it depends on you the designer.

Because I couldn't disagree more with Kyle. Downlight does a fine job of pushing people out of scenery and can double as isolation.

I.E. more bang for your buck.

I'd have to agree with Grog, although each definitely has its place. I love using toplight to sculpt an actor, so I generally gravitate towards a toplight system unless I can come up with a good reason to want backlight instead.

Also, I generally key off high sides, using fronts mainly for fill, and using toplight in addition to the high sides helps fill in some shadows and blend everything else together, which backlight just wouldn't be able to do.

My background is doing concerts, and backlight is king, to give color to the stage, spotlights or a front wash can deal with the front and visibility. If you need a lot of color, backlight is, in my opinion, the best place to put it, at a steep enough angle that it does fall on the talent's back and over the shoulders.

And now we come to the true answer of the situation...it depends on you the designer.

Because I couldn't disagree more with Kyle. Downlight does a fine job of pushing people out of scenery and can double as isolation.

I.E. more bang for your buck.

Depends on the show as well... of course. I also tend ride on backlight for most musicals. Its all in the eye of the beholder......

exactly K. (i just didnt want people to think i have one post that i copy and paste constantly lol

Backlight if there is only one, the usefulness of top is great if your key and fill are not the color you want on stage, just scroll over to it and the stage be perfect

My background is doing concerts, and backlight is king, to give color to the stage, spotlights or a front wash can deal with the front and visibility. If you need a lot of color, backlight is, in my opinion, the best place to put it, at a steep enough angle that it does fall on the talent's back and over the shoulders.
I am a similar position. I started in theatre but the last 15 yrs is mostly concert/corperate and there backlight is king. However I went back to my theatre roots and still think given a choice I would go with back instead of top. I do like the idea of moving them steeper and making a hybrid top/back light system with scollers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back