Control/Dimming Most Popular Touring Console-2008 Edition

And a row of 48 submasters, curved just enough so that board tape could not be easily placed above/below them?:(
proxy.php

For the record, in my post above, I was referencing four consoles by the top three theatre lighting manufacturers, none of them the grandMA. I happen to like German engineering and thought-processes.:)

In my opinion, the new wow factor has to go to the V676, with its SEVEN monitors.
proxy.php

Many more glamorous console pictures at The Lighting Console Gallery Photo Gallery by Paul Pelletier at pbase.com.

The Obsession II I think is the best looking console of all time. I felt like the Conn Officer on the Enterprise sitting behind it. Plus it was a great console.

Mike

And a row of 48 submasters, curved just enough so that board tape could not be easily placed above/below them?:(
proxy.php

For the record, in my post above, I was referencing four consoles by the top three theatre lighting manufacturers, none of them the grandMA. I happen to like German engineering and thought-processes.:)

In my opinion, the new wow factor has to go to the V676, with its SEVEN monitors.
proxy.php

Many more glamorous console pictures at The Lighting Console Gallery Photo Gallery by Paul Pelletier at pbase.com.
I am not a fan of the V676's layout, I am a righty and want my encoders on the right side of the board!

Yes it must at least make the effort. FOr me, makes my job more enjoyable to have an ergonomic and pleasing console. Call me superficial but whatever. I want both, A good looking console and well performing. You/I spend so long behind a desk that it's always nice if it's comfortable.

And yes wrist rests matter. I get awful programmers elbow from leaning on the rock hard "rest" of the MA. The MA2 is better, as in not as rock hard, but wont know until I've been leaning on it for 12 hours.

Also re: the v676, I'm not totally sold on the design flow yet, the submasters inverted above the buttons is a little funky I have to say, when I was playing with it, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. But the encoders on the left is a hold over from the Virt, and I actually quite liked them over there. Left your right hand available to do command line work or move the trackball.

Must a lighting console be aesthetically pleasing? We could talk of giant blue golf balls, faux granite wheels, huge green GO buttons of doom, etc., but do we really care as long as it functions as intended/expected/desired? Who remembers "conveniently located, padded wrist-rests, so the the operator's hands never have to touch cold metal" as an advertised feature?

Oh and Lakota, if someone can program a Hog, then they can jump into a gMA pretty easily. They wouldn't know all the whizbang tricks (Microphone input whaaaaa?) but could definitely get the meat of it right off.

Having only be shown the Full and Light Grand MA, I would agree. They do seem to possibly have the steepest learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back