Most Popular Touring Lighting Console - 2010

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
See also
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...-popular-touring-lighting-console-2007-a.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ost-popular-touring-console-2008-edition.html
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/17521-most-popular-touring-console-2009-a.html

Once again, PLSN has listed the Top 10 Tours of 2010 (Ranked by total gross earnings, according to Billboard Boxscore).

The acts are:

1. Bon Jovi
  2. U2
  3. AC/DC
  4. Lady Gaga
  5. Black Eyed Peas
  6. James Taylor & Carole King
  7. The Eagles
  8. Metallica
  9. Dave Matthews Band
  10. Paul McCartney
For the first time, only one make/model of console was used on all ten tours. Discuss.

Were all 10 shows actually on the original GrandMA, or were some/all of them using the GrandMA2? I haven't really seen the MA2 catch on very much in the market thus far, but that could just be related to the scale of shows I work on.

That's almost all I see come through the building anymore, there was one ion, and one pearl expert but the rest were all grandMA's.

That's almost all I see come through the building anymore, there was one ion, and one pearl expert but the rest were all grandMA's.

Never seen an Ion touring. Mostly GrandMA's or Pearls. Occasional Chamsys. Rarely Hog. If a theatre show comes through that is not on a GrandMA its on an Express 250.

Never seen an Ion touring. Mostly GrandMA's or Pearls. Occasional Chamsys. Rarely Hog. If a theatre show comes through that is not on a GrandMA its on an Express 250.

The ion is out with fiddler on the roof, kind of surprised me to. Now that you mention it we did have an express come through last winter. Their lighting guy was gone for a couple of shows and I ended up running it for them. Trying to remember how to program it was the fun part, especially making changes to the cues for them.

Chicago is actually (or was last year anyway) touring with an Eos as the primary with an Ion on the deck. I was really surprised. Apparently the road guys hated it, not because it was a bad console, but because it doesn't exactly fold up very well for transport. I love the Eos, but it simply wasn't designed for the rigors of split weeks.

Don't forget about the lovely Maxyzz (a.k.a. garbage), we tour with those.

The only show that I know that uses the MAXYZZ is Mice on Ice and one or two cruise ships. They arnt bad for a show with a ton of moving lights but **** do they crash a lot. Is there a reason why the Hogs have gone out of style? I was told that a great deal of designers liked them and they were used more frequently for theatre shows.

Is there a reason why the Hogs have gone out of style? I was told that a great deal of designers liked them and they were used more frequently for theatre shows.

A lot of folks who were die-hard hog people have left the fray mainly due to bugs and serious long-standing issues (HTP problems with effects for one). Hogs do crash more often than MA desks so the reliability isn't as good as Hog2 days. I have seen a hog3 die mid-show during a Crystal Method concert, and a big concert LD swore off Hog desks when one croaked during a Rolling Stones Concert a few years back.

Were all 10 shows actually on the original GrandMA, or were some/all of them using the GrandMA2? I haven't really seen the MA2 catch on very much in the market thus far, but that could just be related to the scale of shows I work on.
I believe they were all gMA1's. Just saw my first GMA2's in the wild, on a corporate show. The programmer says he only uses the 2's, unless the shop can only supply 1's.

Last edited:
Interesting, as my place of employment just purchased a Road Hog, but I think that was motivated by the fact that we are a Barco dealer.

I believe they were all gMA1's. Just saw my first GMA2's in the wild, on a corporate show. The programmer says he only uses the 2's, unless the shop can only supply 1's.

Really? He must be an all star if he can get away with making demands like that!

Really? He must be an all star if he can get away with making demands like that!

Lots of people could make that demand too. If he is willing to take a GMA1 when the shop can't provide a GMA2, then it is a reasonable request since most shops can't provide a GMA2 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back