Most Popular Touring Console-2009

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Once again, PLSN has listed the Top Ten Tours of 2009, along with lighting gear lists.

• U2, grandMA
  • Madonna, grandMA
  • Bruce Springsteen, Diamond II, grandMA
  • AC/DC, grandMA
  • Pink, Maxxyz
  • Andre Rieu, Wholehog3
  • Britney Spears, V676
  • Billy Joel & Elton John, Maxxyz
  • Tina Turner, grandMA
  • Coldplay, Wholehog3

For those keeping score, that's
5 - grandMA
2 - Maxxyz
2 - Wholehog3
1 - V676
1 - Diamond II

Compare and contrast with Top Tours of 2008, 2007.

Discuss.

I'm new to this game and haven't used any of those consoles, so take my words for what they're worth: not much. But I wonder if they didn't have weeks to program to a predictable show if their console choice would still be the same.

Yes, I can busk faster on an MA than anything. It's all in what you know. Also the V676 on Britney was triggered via timecode for the whole show. Poor operator was bored watching numbers run past. Cohen used the Maxxyz for B. Joel, Stick wanted to use a MA for Elton but was overruled. Lol And Bruce's LD still uses Morpheus, I think he keeps that company in business.

What metric is PLSN using for "top" tours... the link you gave didn't hace it, and nothing came up on a quick search...
Here is a different list, from Pollstar
Metric is gross income.

1 123.0 U2
2 94.5 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
3 88.0 Elton John / Billy Joel
4 82.5 Britney Spears
5 77.9 AC/DC
6 71.1 Kenny Chesney
7 69.8 Jonas Brothers
8 56.9 Dave Matthews Band
9 54.5 Fleetwood Mac
10 53.4 Metallica

Link here: The Pollstar Top 50 | Pollstar - The Concert Hotwire

What metric is PLSN using for "top" tours...
"As ranked by Billboard Magazine, based on revenue." in very small print on page 14 of the January 2010 issue.

Not sure why the disparity between Billboard and Pollstar lists. Perhaps one is US and the other world-wide?

EDIT: Yes, from the Pollstar link cited:
"Pollstar has compiled its Top 50 Tours of North America for 2009 and, although there is no surprise as to who came in at No. 1, there were plenty of surprises just the same." Emphasis added.

That explains a lot. Hasnt U2's 360 tour brought in over 300 million in 44 shows so far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back